How bad is reception on note2?

OP
B
Reaction score
I've read on other forums that older phones that run on 4g were showing the 3g signal. the -db signal was the 3g not the 4g signal. Now that people are buying newer phones that are showing the -db settings of the 4g signal that is not as strong as 3g was. So what was a good signal on a 3g phone of lets say -80db is is now -110db on a 4g phone and there is almost no differnce in call quality. Idunno if I agree with this but I understand that could be possible. My whole reason for this post is I have also found tha that the radio (antenna that makes calls) in the samsung galaxy s3 is the same that is in the note 2. So what that means is that it is threw software that is improving the quality not hardware with in the phone. Another guy told me that with jellybean the reception issues wil be fixed. I just wann make sure this thing is better then my current phone (htc thunderbolt which is 2 oz heavier due to extdended battery) and has better phone reception then my friends who went out and got the S3 to use and drop calls. I also notice that friends with the droid razr usually have the best reception, ( all my friends have verzion) Had anyone done a side by side -db signal test for a samsung s3 note 2 and droid razr maxx hd?

Tonik

Reaction score
So what was a good signal on a 3g phone of lets say -80db is is now -110db on a 4g phone and there is almost no differnce in call quality. Idunno if I agree with this but I understand that could be possible

I don't agree with that, they are mixing radios and meters. The db meter is the cell radio and has nothing to do with 3g or 4g. Those are data and are a seperate radio.

Fwiw I have minus 96db in my note while my wife's s3 has 99 right next to it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Well I talked to some app designer and what I was told was that the sofware/radio/antenna are all the same. The reason the reception/bars/signal is better in the note 2 vs the galaxy s3 is due to the lay out. The way the phone is made there is more room in the note 2 so it is set up better and able to get a better signal. Not a huge difference but a noticeable one, and one that many others are realizing.

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
Anyone else notice a qualcomm 4g sticker on the top side of their phone after getting it? Just curious

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Anyone else notice a qualcomm 4g sticker on the top side of their phone after getting it? Just curious

Yep. Pretty much every phone I've owned with Qualcomm hardware has had a stickers.

rumblee1

Reaction score
My reception? No problem. Great. As good if not better than my last 3 Motorola phones.

beefchopper

Reaction score
I love my Note 2 and think it is the best phone I have ever had but can say that while the reception is very good on the GN2, it is without question not as strong as my Droid or DroidX. Verizon's signal can be found virtually everywhere and it is hard to find a place where you cannot receive it. I live in a high rise building with plenty of concrete and steel. There is one place in my apartment which is shielded to a greater extent from the VZW signal than the rest of the apartment. I can tell you for certain that in that spot (which unfortunately is my bedroom where I spend a lot of time) I cannot receive or make a single call on my Note 2 but can do both without any problems whatsoever on my Droid and DroidX. I have not had any problem getting and receiving calls anywhere else I've been with my Note 2 so I don't consider this a big problem but if you want real world proof of the answer to this question rather than try to depend on the accuracy of the meter readings or number of bars shown on different phones this is it.