How bad is it to discharge your razr maxx battery until the phone shuts off.

purplehorseshoe

Reaction score
So now I know it's bad to discharge your battery until it shuts itself down :frown:. Done it once or twice to a new razr maxx still in the trial period. Is it bad enough that I should consider returning it? I tend to hold onto phones way beyond the contract expiration. So I'm wondering how much have I screwed up the long term life of my battery? Hopefully it's just a drop in the bucket, just shouldn't repeat the mistake.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
FoxKat can chime in if I am wrong but your phone is fine. The problem of letting your battery get so low that it powers itself down is that you risk letting the battery be so drained that it can't accept a charge, therefore possibly ruined. Being that you were able to still charge your phone after it shut itself down means your safe and your battery is fine. I also have ran the battery til it powered itself down a few times not knowing the risk. If it happens in the future, I think the best thing you can do is put it on a charger as soon as possible because even though the phone is off it still uses some battery resources and could continue to drain it too much where it won't accept a charge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums