hotspot for xbox

d.p-93

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola moto g
I currently have a moto g with ntelos. No contract unlimited everything. I want to use my internal WiFi tethering to get updates on my Xbox 360. The Xbox immediately finds and connects to my phone but will not make it to the internet. I'm getting a DNS error. So I went to Xbox support forums and tried every possible thing I could regarding manual DNS input. Still nothing. Iv even tried unsecuring the network (I read it worked for some) still nothing. Downloaded probably 10-15 non root "free tether apps" just today alone, and still nothing. Thinking maybe it was a failing hardrive or something wrong with my xbox. I tried to connect to it with a laptop. I'm having the same experience; connects to the phone (full bars) but doesn't connect to the internet. Iv been all over the internet trying to find a solution.
PS. Not worried about slow connectivity, lag, etc. At this point I'm just interested in finding out what the hell I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
First, welcome to the forum!

Second, that's strange. I know I successfully used my phone as a hotspot with my 360 a few years ago using foxfi (now a part of pdaNet+), which you have to pay for if you don't want it to disconnect.

I'm not familiar with ntelos. Did the phone come with a hotspot app already included, or have you ONLY been able to try third-party apps?

OP
d.p-93

d.p-93

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola moto g
Thanks!

But yes I have actually also successfully used a mobile hotspot when the last battlefield game came out. I had a galaxy s4 with u.s cellular. 10 gigs cap data. Worked perfectly. But, my data usage was on the moon after installing the game and playing for about a week. Had about a 700$ phone bill for one line. Needless to say I had to find a service provider with unlimited. My moto g has an internal tether in the data settings. And most 3rd party apps iv downloaded just bring up my factory tether app. I have downloaded an app today called foxfi. But no luck. Iv even read many other forums with people having similar experiences, just not as specific as I need it to be with my details so I figured I'd make my own thread.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. Most of those apps that you'll find in the Play Store are made to circumvent the fact that most carriers want people to pay extra for tethering. (This changed on VZW, now that they're required to provide free tethering on the tiered data plans included in "More Everything.")

Anyway, that's why they launch the stock app, because they're basically tricking the phone into thinking that it has passed the carrier's test to see if you have a tethering plan.

The DNS error is throwing me off as well. Usually, issues with connecting the 360 to a network are more with NAT.

If you were running the right version of Windows and could get to the internet through your PC, you could bridge the connections, but that won't help you here...

I'm really not sure since I haven't done if in FOREVER...

OP
d.p-93

d.p-93

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola moto g
Just downloaded pdaNet+ and when I go to activate WiFi mode, I get a message saying "your carrier has blocked WiFi mode, please try USB mode or Bluetooth mode". I couldn't see me connecting to Xbox via Bluetooth.

OP
d.p-93

d.p-93

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola moto g
Where exactly would I have to go to bridge connection. I'm willing to try anything at this point. Iv spent about a week doing my own research before actually reaching out.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It'll only work if you can get your internet on the PC through the phone.

Based on that warning you received, I'm wondering if ntelos has found a way to block the workaround. Do they offer a tethering plan and do you have that plan, or no?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If you Google "(your version of windows) share connection with xbox" or something similar, you should be able to find a guide, but like I said, if the computer isn't getting internet from the phone, it'll share the connection, but you still won't have internet.

OP
d.p-93

d.p-93

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola moto g
I'm not completely sure they have one available to me considering there prepaid no contract plans are pretty basic. And actually nearly a different service provider called FRAWG Maybe if I was on a contract cap data plan with ntelos and not ntelos FRAWG, they may have a tether add on. I'd have to call them to be sure. I just figured having "truly" unlimited, the carrier wouldn't really mind tethering.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Carriers that offer capped plans most definitely care about how much data you're using on an unlimited plan. That's why all of the big carriers did away with unlimited and are doing their best to force everyone on one to give it up.

If you charge someone, let's just say $30 for a 2GB plan, you're making $15 a GB from those people.

Now, if you've got someone on an unlimited plan paying $30 and they use 10GB a month streaming movies and tethering their xbox (I did 5GB in a day or two once, watching back to back netflix movies on my tethered laptop), suddenly you're only making $3 a GB.

So, it's in their interest to make money, and you're likely going to use more data if you're tethering your computer or xbox to the phone and downloading and streaming things, so it'd also be in their best interest to charge you for every GB if they're going to allow you to put that much extra "strain" on their network.

OP
d.p-93

d.p-93

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola moto g
What a scam. I heard rooting is available to my device and that's definitely something I would consider because they have apps that apparently are very very good at using some type of magic to tether. But I have to use a PC with internet connectivity to root my phone annnnnd I think you see where I'm going ha.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Been there myself friend. Might be worth finding a library or coffee shop, even many McDonald's offer free wifi.

Just be sure you download what you need and get off the network since public wifi networks are NOT secure at all.

OP
d.p-93

d.p-93

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola moto g
Yeah I have a Starbucks coffee shop and a McDonalds near by. So that's what I'll have to do. But I was concerned something like rooting my phone would take a good bit of time. I didn't know of it was something practical to go sit in do considering time. Thanks for the help tho! I kinda had a feeling it wasn't possible.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The time it takes depends on your technical ability. There are some apps and programs out there that make it very quick and easy, but I haven't had a moto phone for a few years, so I'm not sure what's out there for your phone in particular.