Hotspot Apps: Is it legal??

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
I reviewed my Verizon bill this morning and noted that I've been paying $30/month for my Verizon Wi-Fi hotspot. I got it because I was on the board of a non-profit and needed it for board meetings; now it is rarely used. I have an unlimited data plan grandfathered. I read both the Verizon acceptable use and unacceptable use policies, and see no prohibition from use of third party apps for Wi-Fi hotspot service. MY QUESTION: Is it legal, in so far as Verizon is concerned, to use third party apps for Wi-Fi hotspots on a Verizon plan? If so, does anyone have app suggestions?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Legality of contracts and what is and is not allowed under an agreement (in this case "acceptable use"), is always subject to interpretation, however there has been at least one recent decision that states you can use a third patty tool, such as PDANET, without violating your agreement. On the other hand, rooting and hacking the SQL file to enable the Verizon Hotspot does not fall under that ruling and so could be held as a violation of your TOS.

To add to that, I am not aware of any enforcement by Verizon or the courts to that end.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Erikbal

Reaction score
The foxfi hotspot app works nice on non rooted devices. My brother has it on his Bionic and we recently went on a trip and my niece used his tablet connected to the wifi on his phone almost the whole trip. I actually connected my phone to his wifi as well to save battery.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2