Hotmail - phone gets emails, but deletes do not sync either direction

qurtrn10

Reaction score
I have the Incredible. When someone sends me an email, I get a notification on my phone, and it'll show up when I hit the email icon. If I read an email and delete it from my phone, a day later I can log in to my hotmail from a computer, and the email is still there - it's not deleting it from my account. Conversely, if I am using a computer, and delete an email, it is not removed from the email list on my phone.

Have I got a particular sync setting turned off?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
How exactly do you have Hotmail set up? I mean, for example, POP accounts (or accounts accessed via POP even if they aren't POP) don't sync.

Reaction score
POP accounts are a one way sync: IE, Web Server to Client (Computer/Phone)
IMAP accounts are two way: Web Server to AND from Client

My bet would be that you have the account set up as a POP mailbox, and thus anything you do on your phone won't affect the web server's mailbox.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Try this.

Open your e-mail. Hit menu > Account Settings > Incoming Settings. At the very bottom there's an option that says "Delete email from server." Change this to "When I delete from your inbox."

Hope that helps...

OP
Q

qurtrn10

Reaction score
Try this.

Open your e-mail. Hit menu > Account Settings > Incoming Settings. At the very bottom there's an option that says "Delete email from server." Change this to "When I delete from your inbox."

Hope that helps...

I'm not following you. My system may be different than yours though. Here's what I have:

From the email screen, 'Menu', 'Settings', 'Send and Receive' :
DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

Delete mail from server is just a yes or no checkbox. What should I do?

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Not sure. I have a Droid...

It seems that if you keep that checkbox checked "yes" it should work for you. Not sure from this point. Sorry, hope you figure it out.

OP
Q

qurtrn10

Reaction score
If I were to forward my hotmail email a gmail acct, could I then set it up to sync both ways?

xaelith

Reaction score
If I were to forward my hotmail email a gmail acct, could I then set it up to sync both ways?

I don't think so. I had the same problem before I gave up and deleted the hotmail account off my Droid. I was just looking at forwarding as an option a few minutes ago, and the Hotmail settings say that forwarding the email to a new account will delete it from their servers.

Edit: I think takeshi and the apprentice might be right, though. I know for sure that when I set the account up the first time, that I set it up as a POP account, and had this same problem. I'll try setting it up as an IMAP this time and see if that helps, and let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Reaction score
I have this problem too I think, when I delete email messages on my phone, they are still in my email on line through the computer. I tried to do what this fix said, by going to email and account settings, but there is no account settings in my menu. This is so frustrating.

williamv

Reaction score
Sync with hotmails finally worked

I am not sure if still useful. I had a similar problem and now until Android was updated to 2.2 (Froyo) I realized that the hotmail is working. I deleted the account and created again. The option to delete emails from the servers needs to be activated again after the account is created.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope. You can't sync to an account that is forwarding email to gmail or even an account that gmail is fetching mail from.

FYI for Hotmail users -- Hotmail supports ActiveSync. It's up to you to find the details.

Peterose313

Reaction score
Try this.

Hope that helps...

I have a droid too but you have to go to settings, account, tap on your hotmail account ([email protected]) and then you'll get a menu that says general settings, incoming server, outgoing server and other settings. You need to go into the other settings and check the box and you can setup the time in which to delete emails older than x time.

bgrubb7

Reaction score
Yes Hotmail supports sync/push with Exchange/ActiveSync

When you add your account, select Exchange (instead of POP or IMAP), then use your full hotmail email address as your username and use m.hotmail.com as the server. You'll be pushing and syncing in no time. Delete a message from your phone and it will delete it from the server.

more info here

Natey2

Reaction score
I recall there was a time when hotmail.com accounts couldn't do some things live.com accounts could. Both are from Microsoft.

My Android phone Corporate Sync account is to my live.com account, and I have an option to specify the sync period: 1,3 days, 1,2 weeks, 1 month, etc.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk