Horrible battery life on Droid 2

ckearns50

Reaction score
My battery on my droid 2 is only lasting like 5 hours without me even making any calls or anything! I have turned the display settings down and everything. The only app that I think I am running is Touchdown, which is syncing my work Outlook email, calendar, etc. I have turned off GPS, WiFi, etc. When I go into battery manager I am seeing the following usages:

com.motorola.providers.contacts = 33%
Display = 22%
com.motorola.contacts = 11%
Android System = 9%
Android OS = 8%
Phone Idle = 7%
Cell Standby = 6%
Advanced Task Killer Free = 2%
Touchdown = 2%
Text Messaging = 2%

Anyone have any idea what the com.motorola.providers.contacts even is and what I can do to fix this situation? I have only had the phone for 2 days and I literally wanna throw it through a wall!!!

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Get rid of the Advanced Task Killer. The droid phone really do not need it and it creates a multitude of issues with the droid. Even though it says its only using 2% I am sure you will see an increase in battery life without the ATK.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed with dropping the Task Killer...along with increased battery life you will probably experience better performance

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My battery on my droid 2 is only lasting like 5 hours without me even making any calls or anything! I have turned the display settings down and everything. The only app that I think I am running is Touchdown, which is syncing my work Outlook email, calendar, etc. I have turned off GPS, WiFi, etc. When I go into battery manager I am seeing the following usages:

Display = 22%
Android System = 9%
Android OS = 8%
Phone Idle = 7%
Cell Standby = 6%
Touchdown = 2%
Text Messaging = 2%

Anyone have any idea what the com.motorola.providers.contacts even is and what I can do to fix this situation? I have only had the phone for 2 days and I literally wanna throw it through a wall!!!

I agree, get rid of ATK but I'm very suspicious about com.motorola.providers.contacts at 33%. What the heck is that?

Generally speaking Display will be your #1 user, as I look at my own phone I see AndroidSystem on mine at a whopping 41% followed by display at 29%.

I don't see anything on my D2 like your number one battery drainer.

Try removing ATK but don't be too awful surprised about a short life on the battery, no matter if you have wifi on or not. Be prepared to purchase a spare battery at Amazon for 8.00 and a wall charger at ebay for 5.00. With heavy use I can go through a battery in 5 hours so it's not impossible. Don't throw your Droid through the wall, give it to me first. :)

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Generally speaking Display will be your #1 user, as I look at my own phone I see AndroidSystem on mine at a whopping 41% followed by display at 29%.

I don't see anything on my D2 like your number one battery drainer.

Try removing ATK but don't be too awful surprised about a short life on the battery, no matter if you have wifi on or not. Be prepared to purchase a spare battery at Amazon for 8.00 and a wall charger at ebay for 5.00. With heavy use I can go through a battery in 5 hours so it's not impossible. Don't throw your Droid through the wall, give it to me first. :)

Hook my friends mom has the Droid 2 and it is constantly sync-ing do you have any ideas as to why? its totally killing the battery in like 4 hours. I never had any problems with
my Droid.

Trying out Sprint for a month. Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk. 4G is pointless when you don't live in one of the few available network areas.

OP
C

ckearns50

Reaction score
I am confused because every time I hit the Automatic Task Killer it will say something like Killed 10 tasks, but then I won't do anything on the phone at all, and if I hit it again 10 minutes later it will again kill like 10 or 12 tasks. It seems to me like if I kill the tasks, and then don't touch anything, there shouldn't be another 10 tasks to kill a few minutes later. Any thoughts? Very frustrating.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am confused because every time I hit the Automatic Task Killer it will say something like Killed 10 tasks, but then I won't do anything on the phone at all, and if I hit it again 10 minutes later it will again kill like 10 or 12 tasks. It seems to me like if I kill the tasks, and then don't touch anything, there shouldn't be another 10 tasks to kill a few minutes later. Any thoughts? Very frustrating.

Tasks will start automatically. So after you kill them and not even use your phone some will start up because that's what they were programmed to do. Did you remove ADVANCED TASK KILLER yet? Try that and see if you get better battery life.

Trying out Sprint for a month. Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk. 4G is pointless when you don't live in one of the few available network areas.

OP
C

ckearns50

Reaction score
I would try that, but I am at work and my phone is DEAD, and of course charger is at home!! I plan on trying it tonight though when I get home. I am wondering if that HUGE thing that is taking up almost 40% of battery life (com.motorola.providers.contacts) is some sort of transfer file or something related to the touchdown app constantly syncing with my Outlook. The app is great, I am actually getting outlook emails on my phone before they even pop up on my desktop computer, but obviously if it's completely draining my battery I will have to try to find another way to sync. Has anyone tried out the CompanionLink software to link Outlook to Droid?

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When I go into battery manager I am seeing the following usages:

Display = 22%
Android System = 9%
Android OS = 8%
Phone Idle = 7%
Cell Standby = 6%
Touchdown = 2%
Text Messaging = 2%

I am not sure what the two motorola items in red are. What ever that is is what is eating your battery (along with the task killer)

Granted I am on a Droid 1 but here is my usages:

Display = 36%
Voice Calls = 22%
Phone Idle = 15%
Cell standby = 12%
K-9 Mail = 5%
Android System = 3%
Android OS = 3%
Android Core Apps = 2%
Weather Bug = 2%

And I can get on average 16 hours before plugging in to the charger and most times I still have about 30% left on my battery. Like I said I am on a Droid 1 but I just don't understand the big difference. I read somewhere that the Droid 2 had the best battery life so I really think you need to figure out what those two motorola things are.

OP
C

ckearns50

Reaction score
I think you're definitely correct. I am just having a hard time finding out what they are anywhere! Thanks though!

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just did a quick google search on the com.motorola.providers.contacts. It seems to be a common problem that everyone is complaining about. Every one has said that starting sometime in September this item started using 30-40% when before it was at 5%.

Here are a couple solutions that I found on another site. I hope this helps.

I've discovered that if I force stop some services the drain will stop. One in particular is the com.motorola.contacts.data aka BlurPhotoDownloadService. Once I stop this service the constant OTA sync stops and I can get many more hours (at least 12-15) of regular use compared to 4-5 hours of light use before.

Go to "battery manager" select "battery mode" and then click on option one (most battery conservation).

There are a lot of complaints about this. It appears that what ever changed happened with the 2.2 update to the Droid 2. I got the above information off the Motorola Owners' Forum site.

Maybe some of this will help you.

want a droid

Reaction score
The Droid 2 shipped with 2.2.....

Anyways, my best suggestion would be to buy the extended battery, root your phone, and install one of the roms that has blur removed. With just the extended battery there is a large improvement in battery and once you run a rom with blur removed the phone is much faster and battery is very improved.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's the integrated FB/Twitter syncing stuff -- the same crappy app that adds ALL of your BF contacts to your contact list.

Anyone have an old FB APK? Pre-MotoBlur? I might be able to kill two birds with one stone.