Home security cameras

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Figured I'd ask my DF friends what they have at home. I'm not talking Paris Hilton kind of security, just something I can monitor the dog during the day when I'm out.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I have security cameras all over the place, lol! Well, I have three. I have a cheap escam outdoor one that works great. That one is connected directly into my router. I have an indoor swann sw-wifiptz that runs off wifi, pans, tilts, two way voice and another indoor foscam, very similar to the swann. All of them I got for around $50. The escam and foscam I access anywhere through ipcamera app. The swann one I can access anywhere via the swann cloud app. My outdoor escam & foscam I have set up to record any movement onto an older tablet. I could set it up to alert me when there is movement if I wanted to. The swann records movement onto their cloud and also alerts me if there is movement. For the escam and the foscam you have to set up a dynamic ip to access away from home. The swann you don't have to have a dynamic ip because they use their own cloud (a limited amount of storage for free but I've never needed more).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
Mustang02

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I've been reading reviews and people don't like foscams UI saying it's clunky.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I haven't had a problem with their UI. But the only time I really had to play with it was when I was setting up my dynamic ip. Now, I never touch it. I just access it through the ipcamera app.

OP
Mustang02

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
My cable modem isn't dynamic but it hasn't changed in 6 months either but I use a dynamic DNS service to link to my server for remote access. I'm thinking you could use something like this to link to your cameras.

Free Dynamic DNS - No-IP.com - Managed DNS Services
That is exactly what I use. You are already set. That was probably the hardest part...setting up for remote viewing. For you, once you know your cameras ip, you go into your routers settings and wah-la, your good to go (I'm sure you already got that part down).

OP
Mustang02

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
That is exactly what I use. You are already set. That was probably the hardest part...setting up for remote viewing. For you, once you know your cameras ip, you go into your routers settings and wah-la, your good to go (I'm sure you already got that part down).

I know a few things about networking. :) I'm trying to narrow down the cameras. Some have great reviews, then others have horrible but are cheaper($50 range).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah, I'm interested in setting some up myself someday soon, but not looking to break the bank by any means. The ones I get at work are nice, but out of my personal price range.

OP
Mustang02

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have a couple old Cell phones that I could use skype on but then I can't zoom, rotate or use night vision. That plan is out. So much for reusing and saving.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
All of mine are what would be considered cheaper brand, more affordable. But they are all older than a year and all still working with no problems, good pic/video, excellent night vision, always maintain connection.