turning my old android phone into a security camera

angelman

Reaction score
I have been noticing some suspicious activity around my house lately and I was wondering if anyone had made a security cam app for android.
I am not looking at monitoring existing ip security cameras but just using my phone as one. Ideally it would have some sort of motion sensing ability, ability to email or text me if it detects anything. It should all be possible with android. I would just use my home wifi and have the phone plugged into the power all the time. Not looking for night ability or anything just to look at the doorway or front yard maybe.

coconutt

Reaction score
I actually have an interest in this too.

I've had suspicious dings on my car that were from what appears to be the handle of a screwdriver, which some neighbors had the same. Then maybe a few months later a neighbor and I get a knife slash in our doors... I'm thinking these are the same people that caused the dings.

Gonna check out that app above anyway.

Meltzi

Reaction score
I have been noticing some suspicious activity around my house lately and I was wondering if anyone had made a security cam app for android.
I am not looking at monitoring existing ip security cameras but just using my phone as one. Ideally it would have some sort of motion sensing ability, ability to email or text me if it detects anything. It should all be possible with android. I would just use my home wifi and have the phone plugged into the power all the time. Not looking for night ability or anything just to look at the doorway or front yard maybe.

I know its a bit late, but my company just released this app: Salient Eye . This app is completely designed for turning the android into a home security camera system. It saves the pictures upon movement , uploads them to a webpage available online , sends you immediate alerts and optionally sounds an alarm. It is the best android app for home security in the market.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mantishrimp.salienteye

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Good luck with your app.

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
Salient Eye is definitely interesting. Dont youbjust hate it when a place only offers valet parking and you have valuable things in your car w/obyour valet key? I might give this a try. My old fone will not have any interner connection, but it might scare off the valet person if he or she hears the alarm :)

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
Interesting app. It's nice to see developers who respond helpfully to user reviews on about their apps on Google Play.

SwiftKeyed & sent via Tapatalk

Meltzi

Reaction score
Thanks. Its just first release. We keep work on it, fix and improve so the feedbacks help us and its going to get even better.
@ mikekhelxD valet parking is a new usecase , never heard that before. in

Fonzz

Reaction score
I know its a bit late, but my company just released this app: Salient Eye . This app is completely designed for turning the android into a home security camera system. It saves the pictures upon movement , uploads them to a webpage available online , sends you immediate alerts and optionally sounds an alarm. It is the best android app for home security in the market.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mantishrimp.salienteye

Nice, looks to be exactly what the op desires.

I've tested it and it's brilliant. I just plan on using it around the house (where my phone will remain safe) to instantly, audibly, alert me when a certain cute kitty is doing something highly frowned upon so I can catch her in the act :D

The only thing I can think of to make it better (for me :happy3:), would be an option to have the audible alarm automatically reset itself (& override the password) in increments of say 10 seconds. This way I wouldn't have to pick up the phone to stop the alarm often, as I'm anticipating now.
Either way, saved me 17 dollars I was thinking of spending at Harbor Freight for a "Driveway Monitor" to accomplish the same task, thanks! :icon_ lala:

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to set it up and try it yet, but I told my friend about it and she says it works great!

SwiftKeyed & sent via Tapatalk

Meltzi

Reaction score
Nice, looks to be exactly what the op desires.

I've tested it and it's brilliant. I just plan on using it around the house (where my phone will remain safe) to instantly, audibly, alert me when a certain cute kitty is doing something highly frowned upon so I can catch her in the act :D

The only thing I can think of to make it better (for me :happy3:), would be an option to have the audible alarm automatically reset itself (& override the password) in increments of say 10 seconds. This way I wouldn't have to pick up the phone to stop the alarm often, as I'm anticipating now.
Either way, saved me 17 dollars I was thinking of spending at Harbor Freight for a "Driveway Monitor" to accomplish the same task, thanks! :icon_ lala:

Cool. You can share your CATch photos on our facebook page if you like :)