Home screens not auto-rotating

Mark_79

Reaction score
About two weeks ago, I purchased three new RAZR's on my family plan. I just noticed this evening that two of the phones do not auto-rotate like they should, the third phone works just fine.

I have enabled "Auto-rotate Screen" in Settings>Display menu, but it doesn't fix it. The screen DOES auto-rotate within the settings menu, and within other apps, just not on the home screens.

Does anyone know of any other settings which may affect this, or do I have a couple dud phones on my hands? The guys at the VZ store couldn't figure it out either, and just gave me the phone number for tech support.

blm26

Reaction score
Mine does not either...you say that one of your phones will rotate the home screen?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
M

Mark_79

Reaction score
Yes, one of the three phones I have WILL auto-rotate the home screen when you turn the phone sideways, and we checked the floor display model at the store as well to verify that this was indeed the way the phone was supposed to work.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
That's a first. Since the D1 Moto phones homescreens have not rotated. My D1 didn't, my wifes DX doesn't and my D3 doesn't either. Only if its using a home replacement app did any of them ever rotate the homescreen.

LLR0717

OP
M

Mark_79

Reaction score
I don't know much about the history of previous phones (though I'm pretty sure my original DROID rotated, but I was using LauncherPro), but we did verify with the demo phone in the store that the home screen did in fact rotate as you would expect. Also, one of my three phones also rotates just fine when on the home screen.

Sounds like there's an issue if some phones rotate, and some don't.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Well it is weird. Like I said Moto phones haven't previously done this so it would stand to reason the latest wouldn't either. Plus I would go by the demo phones. Who knows what's on those things.

But with launcher pro or any other home replacement app it will rotate. Is your one that will running launcher pro as well? Or is it bone stock?

LLR0717

OP
M

Mark_79

Reaction score
Yeah, this one is bone stock save for loading a couple generic apps, and changing the wallpaper.

Just got off the phone with 'advanced tech support' and her suggestion was to pull the battery. :blink: When I reminded her that you can't exactly do that on a RAZR, she told me to just take the non-functioning phones back to the store & have them replaced with new ones.

untpeter

Reaction score
Got something to work

I had the same problem and called tech support too, they also asked me to remove the battery.... But then he told me to turn off the phone, remove the sim card, reinstall it into the phone, and power the phone back on. I was actually surprised it worked.

OP
M

Mark_79

Reaction score
That's interesting...

I went into the Verizon store last night to have our phones replaced, but we came to the conclusion that the home screens don't in fact rotate. I verified that the third phone I have actually doesn't rotate like I thought it did, and that like jstafford suggested, someone had actually loaded LauncherPro on the demo phone in the store. We uninstalled that, and voila, no home screen rotation.

The whole thing is quite confusing, as apparently I was the first person to bring this to tech support's attention; and even though much of the pre-release advertising suggested the phone had an "accelerometer to assist the UI with auto-rotation", it appears now as though this isn't meant to be.

Can anyone else confirm whether or not their home screen rotates when you turn the phone sideways? This is with the stock home screens - no LauncherPro, ADW, or Go Launcher apps loaded.

Sorry for the confusion!

OP
M

Mark_79

Reaction score
Right, I know the Droid's don't. I'm talking about the Motorola RAZR.

shellymc13

Reaction score
all motorola droids... including the razr do not auto rotate on home screen with stock apps

Arodnum1

Reaction score
That's interesting...

I went into the Verizon store last night to have our phones replaced, but we came to the conclusion that the home screens don't in fact rotate. I verified that the third phone I have actually doesn't rotate like I thought it did, and that like jstafford suggested, someone had actually loaded LauncherPro on the demo phone in the store. We uninstalled that, and voila, no home screen rotation.

The whole thing is quite confusing, as apparently I was the first person to bring this to tech support's attention; and even though much of the pre-release advertising suggested the phone had an "accelerometer to assist the UI with auto-rotation", it appears now as though this isn't meant to be.

Can anyone else confirm whether or not their home screen rotates when you turn the phone sideways? This is with the stock home screens - no LauncherPro, ADW, or Go Launcher apps loaded.

Sorry for the confusion!

Mine sure doesn't, my X didn't either, but i'm not too concerned if my home screen rotates or not.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

untpeter

Reaction score
Okay, I guess I misunderstood the original post, my home screen does not rotate. I was having a problem where texts, youtube, pictures, and other apps did not rotate at all.

shellymc13

Reaction score
Okay, I guess I misunderstood the original post, my home screen does not rotate. I was having a problem where texts, youtube, pictures, and other apps did not rotate at all.

sometimes you have to shake the phone a little to get it to rotate