Home++ & Handcent problems?

switchedfromiphone

Reaction score
I'm using Handcent SMS Plus Home++. I love Home++ but I fear I'm going to have to uninstall it because it doesn't seem compatible with the quick-reply feature of Handcent?

When a new text pops up, and I click inside the box to respond, the keyboard pops up and is now completely covering the quick-reply box of the SMS. I can still reply, but I can't see what I'm typing like I used to. I think it's because of how Home++ squishes the wallpaper together during the pop up notification? You can see how the ratios become different once the pop up appears.

Anyone else experiencing this? I've checked through settings of Home++ and I can't seem to find a fix. Any help is appreciated...thanks.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've tried Home++ twice now. Both times it was uninstalled and I'm back to the regular home screen. I did have similar problems between the two like you did but it's gone now. If you ininstall Home++ I can virtually guarantee you'll see you Droid speed is much improved too.

OP
S

switchedfromiphone

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any significant slowdowns, yet. This is really the only issue I seem to have, the keyboard doesn't "push up" the quick reply anymore, it just simply covers it so you can't see what you're typing. Odd.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I don't have Home++ anymore either, but had the same problem with handcent in portrait mode. It only did this in portrait, if I was in landscape worked like always...... of course I don't often do much in portrait so I may have just never noticed it before.

OP
S

switchedfromiphone

Reaction score
Damn, this sucks then. I only use the onscreen keyboard because I type way faster on it than in landscape. The Droid's physical keyboard is really awkwardly shaped and the keys are not "bubbly" enough or..."pressed" enough to really know that you've hit the right key and it really slows me down. I've timed myself and I type OVER twice as fast on the onscreen keyboard. So I love portrait mode...damnit. Love the functionality and clean interface of Home++ but cannot live without the quick-reply of Handcent SMS. It's the entire reason I jailbroke my iPhone when I had it...a pop up with a reply feature is a MUST for me, a heavy texter. Damn damn damn.

jbg25

Reaction score
Are you guys holding the phone in portrait or landscape????

I had to think about this for a second...cause I never text in landscape...so I almost responded that this has never happened to me. But I do believe that when I am typing any text in landscape this does happen...email, web, etc...not just handcent.

I have the swype keyboard....and it makes adding text with the portrait keyboard a breeze. I text faster than you would think possible with the screen in portrait (at least 3 or 4 times faster than with the stock touch keyboard in landscape)...and I can see what I am responding to.

OP
S

switchedfromiphone

Reaction score
I am holding it in portrait mode. I do not use landscape because I don't like the physical keyboard, I can text faster on the touchscreen.

What is swype keyboard? Is it an add-on or something to Handcent SMS?

It never fails, I get a pop-up text, I tap inside so the onscreen keyboard comes up, and then it completely blocks the reply box to the text. I can type away and it'll send, but nope...keyboard now covers the box so I can't SEE what I am typing like I used to. Only started happening once I installed Home++.