Hiding Unused Widgets & Apps

User0101

Reaction score
I'm looking for a simple solution to a basic question... how can I hide unused or unwanted widgets?

I do not want to root my phone and I've looked into solutions like LauncherPro's ability to hide widgets except I don't want a full home replacement at this time like LauncherPro.

Is there an app out there that will give me the ability to hide unwanted/unused widgets and apps that I have not heard of yet. I've been digging through many forums and online searches and can't seem to find it.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I use LauncherPro because it had an option to hide apps from your app drawer... pretty awesome when you have some installed but don't need them in the launcher...

EDIT: Haha sorry, you mentioned LPro... my bad

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
if theyre on your homescreen just long press and move to trash can

if theyre stock, i dont think you want to bother with them. i dont think you can remove them (but go for it if you want to) - ull need to head over to the hacks section

ahendric

Reaction score
User0101,

It is called 'Trashcan'. Long press on the widget and then when the trashcan appears, drag the widget down to it.

When you want it back, long press on a blank spot on the screen and it will bring up a menu where one of the options is widgets. Select it and scroll through the listed widgets until you see the one you want and select it and it will appear on the screen. You can then long press the widget and move it around or again put it in the 'Trashcan'.

Later
A

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ahendric - thats not what he means. he doesnt want them off the screen, just hidden from the launcher, like LPro can do...

ahendric

Reaction score
icculusX/User0101,

My apologies if I misread what you were looking for. :confused: For me, if I don't want to see a widget, I don't have it on the screen. I don't have anything on my phone that anyone else shouldn't see and as such never thought of that kind of a need. :blush:

Later
A

OP
U

User0101

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Let me try to clarify what I'm talking about because I didn't do a good job of it the first time around. What I'm talking about is "let's say" you have a brand new Droid X out of the box. Of course it comes pre-installed with many apps/widgets (perhaps I'm confusing the two) such as the Blockbuster App.

For me, there are tons of these pre-installed apps that I'd like to remove from my app tray. I don't want to root my Droid to uninstall them, I just don't want to see them, hence hiding them. If for some reason I changed my mind I could then go and un-hide them.

It is my understanding that apps like LauncherPro do this very sort of thing but like I mentioned in my OP I'm not really interrested in installing an app that alters my home page and other 6 pages as well.

I just figured that by now someone might have had the same desire to do this very thing without making the wide range of modifications that LauncherPro can/will do.

I hope that clears things up a little and thank you all again for your suggestions and comments.

DJTURNz

Reaction score
Maybe you are thinking of the tray backwards. I rarely go to my tray to run an app.

Apps that I use frequently are either on one of my home screens, or in a folder on my home screens. I have a folder called GAMES, TOOLs, JUNK, websites and Notifications.

Of course Games has games. Tools has barcode reader, calculator, gallery, and some of my apps that "do stuff". Junk is the sound effects, BLEEP, AIRHORN, iFight, AK-47, you know, junk apps that aren't really a game, and don't really do anything. I use them because my kids like them, so I keep them handy and together.

Notifications is my email, gmail, twitter and astric task list apps.

I keep Google Maps, TiKL, Google Voice, music on my home screen. I have one home screen dedicated to just one-touch phone and text contacts.

I have pandora, youtube, weather channel, power bar and volume toggle widgets.

I rarely open my tray unless I need something that is infrequent or I just loaded something new.

Just my 2 cents

velocity92c

Reaction score
LauncherPro can be as customized or as un-customized as you want it. The only difference at all between it and the stock Froyo home screen is having 3 more icons in your dock (which can't be a bad thing). Everything else can be set to match Froyo exactly (number of home screens, etc). Give LauncherPro a shot, it does exactly what you need and can be a lot less in depth than you're thinking. I don't see how having 2 extra icons in your dock could possibly be a bad thing.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Short answer - you cannot remove things from the app tray without rooting and deleting the apk or using an app like LauncherPro to hide them.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
you can set up any home screen to look like yours would look now and in most cases a replacement home can make your phone faster if you wanna hide your apps from your drawer then the only way youll be able to do that is get LP or there is a root app called app vault that can do that but you dont wanna root

and also it never hurts to try new things you may like them so i say give it a shot if you dont like LP then you can uninstall it and your back to where you are now

i personally like ADW but i dont think it hides apps from the drawer