Hi there, new member with a problem with missing/lost text messages

Thorn13

Reaction score
Hi there I am new to the forums, I found you as I was trying to see if anyone else was having issues where you send text messages but the intended party does not receive them. I am using a DROID RAZR MAXX as is my girlfriend both new phones. We at times do not get messages we send to each other and also do not get messages from friends and family.

Now I never had issues with my Incredible, this has only been occurring since getting our new phones. We can do a side by side comparison and I see what time she sent me a text but I never get it yet I will get messages after it. Sometimes right after, sometimes hours after.

I am not sure what to do here I can not have a phone that is unreliable about texts I text a lot, and it is awkward when one does not go through, and sometimes it can be a problem like yesterday when I did not get her message about the passing of a loved one. She can not make calls from work so we rely on texts quite a bit... anyway I am sure you can understand.

Is this an issue with the phone? The OS?

Thanks in advance!!!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums. And sorry to say I do not know much about the Maxx to say whether or not it is a known issue with it. The best thing I can suggest is to head over to our Razr Maxx section and look around to see if it is common or not.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Basic functions like texting should never be an issue. I just use the stock app but who knows maybe you got a Razzr with an issue. You can try using anothere texting app from the play store. You can also try a factory data reset to see if that clears it up for you.

I'm saying this under the assumption that you never had an issue texting this person with your Incredible. It could be a problem with their carrier if that's not the situation.

OP
T

Thorn13

Reaction score
Thanks will check all, just did a factory reset on my phone and I am hoping that clears it up. She has the same issue though which is odd, it might be her phone since she is not getting texts from other people as well. She is not willing to have me factory reset her phone right now (we have been down this road with past phones and the answer is always to reset and she hates starting over, and I agree it gets frustrating after the 2nd and 3rd time) but I will see if it helps on my end and maybe she will be willing to reset if the issue persists.

Again my thanks!

OP
T

Thorn13

Reaction score
Thanks much, I do not think I have missed anything since the reset and she has not reported she has as of yet but she is frustrated with the need to reset again and is likely not going to let me go that route, I understand as I said it is the 4th time I have had to reset since going to a droid starting with my incredible and it is just frustrating after a while and it seems the Verizon guys just provide that for an answer to every issue. Like windows 95 reboot but with much more hassle to the user.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Glad to hear it seems to be working, let's hope it stays that way!

OP
T

Thorn13

Reaction score
Glad to hear it seems to be working, let's hope it stays that way!

Last night I missed a text from her at around 6 I talked to her about a reset and she seems on board with trying it although begrudgingly so. Will update the forums with the results as soon as we get it done so if anyone else has the issue the can at least know for sure if that works.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last night I missed a text from her at around 6 I talked to her about a reset and she seems on board with trying it although begrudgingly so. Will update the forums with the results as soon as we get it done so if anyone else has the issue the can at least know for sure if that works.

One of the reasons I stopped rooting my phone was I got so tired of having to wipe everything. So I totally understand where she is coming from, it is odd you both have the same issue but I don't see it as being widely reported. Good luck, hope it's the last time she has to do it.

Natey2

Reaction score
... it is the 4th time I have had to reset since going to a droid starting with my incredible and it is just frustrating after a while and it seems the Verizon guys just provide that for an answer to every issue. Like windows 95 reboot but with much more hassle to the user.

If Verizon is going to tell everyone to factory reset their phones, maybe they should provide a utility like Titanium Backup so that customers won't lose their data and apps each time.

Yes, Android today is like Windows 95.
No wait... it is more like Windows 3.0

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not a solution, but I am constantly missing text messages from my daughters, so I told them to use gtalk for me. Works much better.

Can't explain the SMS issue, as it is totally intermittent. All use verizon. Same plan. All have good signals. One daughter can be in same room. Sometimes messages come in, sometimes they don't. I have rooted OG Droid. Eldest has Droid 2. Youngest has Stratosphere.
Issue isn't just between these phones. Friend has Sprint Blackberry . Same issue when she sends me sms. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Husband on same plan as me & girls. BB. Son has "dumb" phone.

Only phone with text issues is mine. Maybe due to rooting?

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Verizon is going to tell everyone to factory reset their phones, maybe they should provide a utility like Titanium Backup so that customers won't lose their data and apps each time.

No wait... it is more like Windows 3.0.

I don't want to take the thread off topic, but if you have a bionic there is a setting that backs up your apps. And even if it wasn't your apps come back on their own anyway after a wipe. Now as far as data goes, yes you would need something like titanium but if it didn't wipe the data then doing a factory data reset wouldn't do much good now would it?

OP
T

Thorn13

Reaction score

No wait... it is more like Windows 3.0

LOL, very well said and I agree with both points.

One of the reasons I stopped rooting my phone was I got so tired of having to wipe everything. So I totally understand where she is coming from, it is odd you both have the same issue but I don't see it as being widely reported. Good luck, hope it's the last time she has to do it.

Agree, I have not seen it as widespread either, I honestly feel at this time we should at least try a reset of her phone. I am not sure what the issue would be though, and I feel like we need to factory reset her phone at least as part of troubleshooting. If nothing else we can determine if that is the solution. As far as a RCA well I can't really do that as I am not a verizon or phone guy I am a IT guy... but this is beyond me.

Not a solution, but I am constantly missing text messages from my daughters, so I told them to use gtalk for me. Works much better.

Can't explain the SMS issue, as it is totally intermittent. All use verizon. Same plan. All have good signals. One daughter can be in same room. Sometimes messages come in, sometimes they don't. I have rooted OG Droid. Eldest has Droid 2. Youngest has Stratosphere.
Issue isn't just between these phones. Friend has Sprint Blackberry . Same issue when she sends me sms. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Husband on same plan as me & girls. BB. Son has "dumb" phone.

That was our issue as well, and when I went to Verizon the tech there tested it and some of his texts did not reach my phone either... so he witnessed it in action and his only answer was a rest of the phone. So tried it. Now need to try it with my girl friend's to see if it helps.

Last edited:

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com

Are you on a custom Rom of any kind ? i remember during the GB Roms for the OG Era many users have reported those problems.. i always stayed with a Froyo rom and never had any issues... i'm wondering if that issue that was always explained by lack of ram on the OG has made its way to new phones as well.

Last edited: