New Member-How to send text message to multiple contacts?

welscher08

Reaction score
Hello, I just signed up for this forum. I currently do not have a Droid, but work at a telephone office that sells Verizon phones, so see Droids from time to time.

But I do have a question if someone might have some insight or help to it. I have a friend who's mom is running for a campaign election, and she wants to send out text messages to people to remind them to vote. Is there an application that you can download/buy that is nice for sending a message to multiple phone entries at once? So we don't have to type the same text over and over, and doing them one by one? Is there a way to copy and paste a message into the subject then import contacts or anything? Sorry i know quite a bit about computers but not about the Droid and its constantly changing apps. I have read some about Handcent, but sure everyone on this forum can provide some help. Thanks! Ryan

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can do this from the stock text messaging app. All you do is hit new text message and at the top of the page there is a field that says to: and in that field you can enter multiple numbers. You either manually enter the # or select the contact you want to send it too. I don't know for sure if there is a limit to the amount of #s you can send to at once but I don't think so.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I use Handcent and I can sent to multiple contacts. My sense is your friend is seeking a way to enter a group or nickname that would include a large number of contacts. If that is the case and they have a group created it should not be a issue.

OP
W

welscher08

Reaction score
Thanks everybody. Sorry I haven't been on much, been pretty busy lately with the nice fall and harvest. But I will be trying to do this Sunday night, so we will see how it goes. Thanks!

OP
W

welscher08

Reaction score
Here is an update everybody, so here is where I will need the help. I got a chance to look at my friends Droid on Sunday night and downloaded Handcent onto the phone, it downloaded and installed fine. Here are my questions though:

1. When I tried to send a message i selected the group 'All Contacts' and then it refreshes back to the messaging screen, but in the area where it shows who the message would send to, there isn't any contacts listed? Is this because she has her contacts entered someway Handcent doesn't access them correctly?

2. How do you set Handcent to be the default messaging app, so you don't receive a message in both the default messaging app and Handcent?

What we are trying to do is send one message to everyone in her phone. Instead of doing it one by one, or 5 people or message or something...just be alot easier to send one all at once and be done. Thanks so much everyone, and sorry I haven't been on more, but just got a chance to look at her Droid the other night as I do not own one.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
To disable the double notifications... go into the stock messaging app and in settings disable notifications and 'auto-retrieve'.

In Handcent, I can send a text to all contacts in my phonebook by.... creating a new message, then pressing the "+" in the right corner, then selecting "group" and then System Group : My Contacts. (if you have multiple numbers for a contact you will be prompted for which one to send the text to)

OP
W

welscher08

Reaction score
Ok...I will do that. I thought maybe it was like Windows where you can select your Default Programs but i didn't see anything like that in the Settings area. But will disable it in the stock messaging app.

When you do that in Handcent, afterwards does it list them up above where you can type the message then? On her phone I do that...and have tried selecting other Groups, but it always comes back blank. I thought it would say something like, 93 contacts or something, as you were sending the message to multiple contacts. Thanks