Hi, I'm new and need help with OC

nickelocene

Reaction score
Hi, I found this site when I was searching for answers and guides for how to overclock my Droid. I registered and hope I can get some help from here.

I spent quite sometime searching for answers for OCing my Droid with Stock Froyo. But all the information on the net is a bit here and a bit there. I hope someone can provide a step by step guide.

As far as I can understand, I need to root, install a kernel, and OC. Here are some questions I have atm:

1. How to root a Froyo?
2. What's the difference between a rom and kernel? Do I need to install both to OC?
3. Which Kernal to use? I see someone mentioned P3Droid kernals, are those the best?
4. What's the difference between low voltage and standard voltage?
5. For P3Droid kernals, there are different Hz, from 600 to 1250, what's the difference?
6. After OC, can I still go back to stock rom and VZW won't find any trace?
7. What's the chance to brick my phone?

I know that's a lot of questions to ask all at once. But I'm really new to OC, and hoping to get help here.

Thanks,

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Droid Forums.

To root 2.2 http://downloads.droidmod.org/DMUpdater-12.apk

I like P3 kernels. I overclock to 1ghz and I run a 250/1100 kernels. You will find different opinions on that. You will have to decide what is right for your.

A kernel and a ROM are two different things. I don't run a custom ROM, I'm using straight FROYO. For more information on that, visit our hacking section.

OP
N

nickelocene

Reaction score
Thank you two for the quick reply. Abe's 101 is a lifesaver. Thanks,

I do have a question about DMupdater though. Can I use it to unroot? I see some people on the net mentioned that unrooting by DMupdater caused a lot of problems. Should I try to get EasyRoot instead?

Also, if I use setCPU, do I need to install P3 Kernel first?

Thanks,

Last edited: