Here's an interesting feedback letter I received.....

Hodor

Reaction score
....from the makers of the bloatware VideoSurf app after I wrote them to complain about not being able to remove their app from my Bionic:

Hi!

Thanks for contacting VideoSurf to express your concerns. We hear you loud and clear and obviously want to assist you in any way we can. Like all preloaded applications, we're challenged by the fact that the current version of the Android simply does not allow users to uninstall any preloaded application. We apologize for the fact that you are left with an app that you don't plan to use. That said, help is on the way. Google is releasing a new OS for all Android phones, called Ice Cream Sandwich. This new version will allow users to better manage, even remove preloaded applications they're not planning on using. Please follow this link to read more about the new OS and its features, in particular #9 to read more about disabling preinstalled apps.

Even though the VideoSurf app hasn't been of interest to you, we encourage you to still give it a shot. If you'd like to read more about the app and how it works - follow this link.

We appreciate you sending us your feedback and apologize for the inconvenience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help out with.

Take care,
--

VideoSurf Support Team
http://videosurf.com
VideoSurf (@VideoSurf) on Twitter
VideoSurf - Website - San Mateo | Facebook

Comments??

Last edited:

Droid3720

Reaction score
Video Surf popped up in my notification bar yesterday. I looked at the Task Manager, but it didn't show it running. Sneaky little bastard.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jayman350

Reaction score
My problem with this is that disable does not mean remove.

yeah but that is better than nothing. If you really want it gone, root your phone and delete it. Freezing the app in TiBu is essentially what the disable option will do in ICS.

Al Neri

Reaction score
Wow, that is not at all what I was expecting. I thought it was going to be a generic form letter. I can't wait for ICS.

SANhacker

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I noticed it for the first time yesterday on the notification bar and saw no way to uninstall.
I had no idea what it was so this post is very timely. +1 Can't wait for ICS.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I noticed it for the first time yesterday on the notification bar and saw no way to uninstall.
I had no idea what it was so this post is very timely. +1 Can't wait for ICS.

Thanks for sharing! ++1 ! Likewise, can't wait for ICS (after an ota of course ;-)

S

SFGate

I'm impressed that they responded. Some don't answer questions at all.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm impressed that they responded. Some don't answer questions at all.

thinking the same thing... and very thorough, professional, and informative as well!

illmatic636

Reaction score
It actually nice that they even replied to your letter. That is good business practice. My thoughts are, it's not their fault that the app is pre-loaded in the Bionic. I would think that this is a Verizon call. They are paid by those companies to have their app included in the bloatware. And I would not be shocked that it help to sell the device at a reduced price. IMO.

Heywood

Reaction score
This is strange. After reading this (even though I don't own a Bionic, have an X2) I went into my apps and found Videosurf, deleted the data and cache and hit the uninstall button. Seems to have uninstalled.

I don't recall whether or not I put it there or if it was pr-installed but its gone...I think

Tonik

Reaction score
This is strange. After reading this (even though I don't own a Bionic, have an X2) I went into my apps and found Videosurf, deleted the data and cache and hit the uninstall button. Seems to have uninstalled.

I think all you did was uninstall the updates. I bet the original app is still there.

Heywood

Reaction score
I think all you did was uninstall the updates. I bet the original app is still there.

How do I check? It usually says uninstall updates when you can do that though. Its not even in my app drawer anymore

OP
Hodor

Hodor

Reaction score
It actually nice that they even replied to your letter. That is good business practice. My thoughts are, it's not their fault that the app is pre-loaded in the Bionic. I would think that this is a Verizon call. They are paid by those companies to have their app included in the bloatware. And I would not be shocked that it help to sell the device at a reduced price. IMO.

I agree, you pretty much summed up how I felt too after reading it. I was very surprised they answered at all, and was very impressed at how well written it was!