Help!!!!

jjason

Reaction score
I have a Motorola Droid and just started having problems. It freezes up. It randomly calls people. It won't go back to the home screen. Without touching it, the screen jumps around and types in random letters/numbers into a google search. I think it is possessed. What can I do without having to buy a new phone?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you use a non motorola charger? Those can cause serious issues with the Droid1.

Have you tried a factory reset?

illmatic636

Reaction score
I have a Motorola Droid and just started having problems. It freezes up. It randomly calls people. It won't go back to the home screen. Without touching it, the screen jumps around and types in random letters/numbers into a google search. I think it is possessed. What can I do without having to buy a new phone?

Do your issues with the screen happen when your plugged into a charger? If so, Non OEM chargers tend to cause this problem. As far as freezes go. Uninstall any task manager or task killer you may have installed. Android does not need those apps and often conflict with the Android OS. Once you un-install those apps, reboot and you should be good to go.

OP
J

jjason

Reaction score
I had to buy a new charger at Verizon and they sold me a verizon charger, not a Motorola charger. My problems started after I got the new charger.
I did take my phone to the Verizon store and they did a factory reset. Still have the same problems.
My problems happen when it is not plugged into a charger.
Thanks for all your ideas!

illmatic636

Reaction score
Was your Droid a refurbished one, or brand new? Sounds like you got a defective Droid 1 then. I would ask for a replacement if you can duplicate the issue in front of the Verizon Rep at the store.

msjohnson2868

Reaction score
Could you have spilled something on the keyboard? Sounds like you make have some sort of keyboard issue with the random entering letters....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
J

jjason

Reaction score
It was a new Droid, but already one year old. The Verizon Rep at the store said he couldn't fix it and said I would have to buy a new one. I'm tired of buying phones!
I don't think I spilled anything on the phone.

msjohnson2868

Reaction score
Any chance for an insurance replacement? :)

You might try a moto charger, not the Verizon one. I've not had that problem personally, but have read of it. The other solution might be to buy one for parts on eBay and salvage the keyboard.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
only option i can think of is to SBf back using stock. then update and reload...sounds like a hardware issue for sure though! ;(

JenniB

Reaction score
My boyfriend had the same problems with his droid. He went in to verizon and they mailed him out a new phone for free. They said its a common problem.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Try to reset and install a custom Rom, you may have a bad update or some corrupt system files that mess up the OS. Try Charity or Sourcery or some other stable Froyo Rom. Of Course always, nandroid and clear cache and data before install.

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Try to reset and install a custom Rom, you may have a bad update or some corrupt system files that mess up the OS. Try Charity or Sourcery or some other stable Froyo Rom. Of Course always, nandroid and clear cache and data before install.

I agree, if you're rooted and are having problems like that, the first thing youre going to need to check is whether or not the ROM is flashed correctly. I recommend making your backup, and going into recovery and do the wipes you need. Start over, maybe with a new ROM.

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
If you aren't rooted tho, verizon cannot simply make you buy a new phone. If you call them and speak with a manager you'll get better results. I've had problems like this easily resolved by speaking with a manager