Help! Wrong location -> time, weather, etc

freddie

Reaction score
Posting this from Incredibleforum, as I might get more help here..
All of the sudden, my phone shows an incorrect time and location. I've had the phone since release day without a problem. Sometime this morning, apparently on my drive to work, it stopped functioning correctly.

If I open Google Maps without GPS enabled, it shows that my location is somewhere on the west coast of Africa., south of Nigeria,... A country named Gabon. I assume that is why my phone's time is wrong. Its off by 5 hours. My weather widgets are also giving me the forecast for that location, and not my current location.

I've spoke with Verizon, they suggest a hard reset, but I'm hoping thats not necessary. I've done battery pulls, checked settings, etc.

The phone DOES get the correct location if I have GPS enabled, but only then. As soon as I disable GPS, the widgets update with the mobile network's location, which is in Africa.

Any advice?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Try this:

Place the phone in "Safe Mode"
How?

1. open the Qwerty Key board press and hold the menu key on the key board and the power key.
the phone will shut down.
When it comes back on it will display safe mode at the bottom of the screen
2. check the calendar and see if it is showing right time now.
3. to remove safe mode just power cycle the phone again

zMd113

Reaction score
Maybe someone wanted to play a very cruel joke on you. I have no idea, if you yourself messed around with the settings then it should be ok, assuming you know what to do which it sounds like you do. If the hard rest doesn't do anything get a replacement if Verison let's you I have no clue.

OP
freddie

freddie

Reaction score
Try this:

Place the phone in "Safe Mode"
How?

1. open the Qwerty Key board press and hold the menu key on the key board and the power key.
the phone will shut down.
When it comes back on it will display safe mode at the bottom of the screen
2. check the calendar and see if it is showing right time now.
3. to remove safe mode just power cycle the phone again
Call me crazy but for the life of me I can't get my phone to reset in safe mode like this

zMd113

Reaction score
I think that guy has a MOTO Droid, not the Incredible so it may be different.

OP
freddie

freddie

Reaction score
Ok I did find a method to boot in safe mode but that didn't work

Edit: as in the problem still occurred

OP
freddie

freddie

Reaction score
Well.. as soon as I left work it fixed itself..

Rich734

Reaction score
I've had my Inc for about 1.5 months now and have had this same problem for about a month. The weather/time shows in the neighboring eastern time zone about 200 miles away as opposed to where I actually am. I finally called Verizon about 2 weeks ago @611 and told them of the problem. They seemed to be unaware of this. By coincidence I was in the Orlando area the past week and, of course, everything worked fine there. Now that I'm back home, everything magically seems to work fine. Don't know if Verizon actually did something to fix this or if it is really just "luck". If you're still having problems, I'd suggest calling Verizon - frequently - until the problem gets recognized and fixed once and for all. I don't think it's a phone problem - I believe it's a Verizon network/tower problem. A friend who has a Moto driod has the same problem.

OP
freddie

freddie

Reaction score
I figured it was likely a network problem.

I haven't been back to that building today for work to see if it will do it again today or not

lizm

Reaction score
A friend told me her phone has been stuck on a another city ever since she visted it two weeks ago.

Mine occasionally - only lately - gets stuck on a city I've been to as well, GPS on and everything. Today I fixed it by deleting the city showing as my location - that seemed to force it to see where i really am.

Shennie

Reaction score
Whenever I am home it always says I am in a town about 150 miles from here. It is correct if I am more than a few miles from home, but not at my house. I will try deleting as suggested above and see what happens.

jpbellis

Reaction score
Verizon MUST know about this issue

There are a growing number of posts out there referencing Droids reporting seriously wrong locations. Mine was off by 900 miles. I live in CT and it has me outside of Chicago. I've been down all the hard reset and safe mode roads. Verizon tech support acted like they never heard it before and connected me to Motorola... Motorola tech support suggested a replacement device and Verizon agreed... They sent me a new droid and .... guess what ... ITS WRONG TOO. Same issue. I've cleared data and discovered that if you have GPS off it reports wrong (aka tower reporting issues) turn the GPS on and :in some cases: it'll override and report correctly... however if you want to conserve battery life and leave the GPS off it'll be wrong. This manifests itself in wrong mapping, navigation, weather apps and gadgets, news ... and most importantly 911 locator services....

Verizon will fess up and admit a problem when some one gets into an unfortunate accident and calls 911 ... And an ambulance gets dispatched to a location 1000 miles away....

gsmuhler

Reaction score
I live in Baltimore, from time to time the phone tells me I am in a town in Texas.

riko540

Reaction score
I had this same problem for a few hours at where I work. It thought I was in Nigeria. I think it has something to do with the phone not getting a good signal at the time it refreshes the location.

jiggapoo

Reaction score
Yep...

Droid Incredible. Same problem. I'm in TN and it thinks (on a regular basis) that I'm in Chongqing, China. But this is funny because I Google Map'd how to get there. Hilarious! One of the steps is to kayak across the Pacific Ocean.