help with my droid contacts

ksaul

Reaction score
Having couple problems with my droid (no themes/roms/hacks installed) contacts.
1) when I go to edit a contact, it is listed twice for my gmail account, and often has the same phonenumbers listed twice when u view the contact detail.

2) I have facebook linked to my sync and all first and last names correctly spelled, but some contacts aren't being synced with facebook.

3)some contacts are listed by their email address and not their first and last name (yes, their names are entered itnto the contact detail)

4) some contacts can't be searched, but are in my contact list (google search works, but not search via contact list)

If anyone could help please id appriciate it.
Also is there a program, or external way to edit/add contacts from my pc? Sometimes its annoying editing details on the phone.

OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
Just double checked, and ALL my contacts are listed twice.. so annoyinh

cnmsales

Reaction score
Same issue. Just bought my phone last week. At first I didnt know about the sync w/ FB contacts option so I started entering in my contacts manually. I then enabled sync for FB and Gmail. Gmail has not contacts on the server side. Once I did this it imported a bunch of them from FB, but also added doubles of people. Some do and dont have FB. I only see the doubles when editing contacts. When I did the sync my contacts that didnt have FB disaperred and I had to re-enter them. Im guessing this has something to do with showing twice. Now im at a loss. I have tried disabling the Sync contacts w FB and gmail option but the synch still stays. I would rather not have this and just enter my contacts in manually. Not sure whats going on here but kind of a mess and kind of frustrating.

thatguychuck

Reaction score
Also is there a program, or external way to edit/add contacts from my pc? Sometimes its annoying editing details on the phone.

Log into your gmail account, and go into contacts. See what they look like there.

erinsaxe

Reaction score
try this

Go to your contacts. choose one that has a double entry. press the main menu button on the bottom of the phone to "edit" the contact. On the edit screen press the main menu button again and you should see a "join" arrow on bottom right. this will allow you to join multiple contacts. Hope this helps. Took me many frustrating nights to figure this out.....

cnmsales

Reaction score
Second question then. I have FB currently set to synch. Now my girlfriend has some of the same people on her FB and she has them listed as contacts on her phone but they arent coming up on mine. What gives?

cpinto

Reaction score
CONTACTS > MENU > DISPLAY OPTIONS

That's a good place to start.

Many times when you sync contacts from a prior phone, this will happen.

The string above will get you headed in the right direction. Just uncheck the duplicate info, and it won't display.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Go to your contacts. choose one that has a double entry. press the main menu button on the bottom of the phone to "edit" the contact. On the edit screen press the main menu button again and you should see a "join" arrow on bottom right. this will allow you to join multiple contacts. Hope this helps. Took me many frustrating nights to figure this out.....
Had the same issue when I purchased then added email accounts from Exchange and Gmail.

I made Exchange my primary because it is my corporate and that resolved my issue of dup contacts.

Mike

vsam10

Reaction score
I cant add contacts to my contact list. It says it is saving it but it dosent.

cpinto

Reaction score
I cant add contacts to my contact list. It says it is saving it but it dosent.

You have a choice of where you are adding the contacts, and which ones you view. Google, Corporate, etc.

When I synced up my old Win Mo Omnia contacts with this, I had 4 copies of each.

Finally I realized I was just viewing everything that was added. All I had to do was open contacts > MENU > DISPLAY OPTIONS and uncheck everything that I didn't want to display.

I decided I wanted to only display my google contacts, so I unchecked everything from the other accounts.

Problem fixed as far as the multiple contacts. Your problem is that you are probably saving contacts to say CORPORATE for example, but viewing GOOGLE contacts. That's why you don't see a change.

Just a guess.

bastosero

Reaction score
Having couple problems with my droid (no themes/roms/hacks installed) contacts.
1) when I go to edit a contact, it is listed twice for my gmail account, and often has the same phonenumbers listed twice when u view the contact detail.

2) I have facebook linked to my sync and all first and last names correctly spelled, but some contacts aren't being synced with facebook.

3)some contacts are listed by their email address and not their first and last name (yes, their names are entered itnto the contact detail)

4) some contacts can't be searched, but are in my contact list (google search works, but not search via contact list)

If anyone could help please id appriciate it.

1. There should be an option in the Contacts for you to combine them and check your gmail account Contacts settings also.

2. I'm not too sure about that one.

3. and 4. Go to your Contacts list, hit the menu button on your phone, choose Display options, click on your gmail account, then put a check mark on all of the boxes, and click Done. That should take care of that.

BCB

Reaction score
This is my first post so hopefully this helps.

I had a similar problem. I synced my FB contacts, and it "deleted" a good portion of my contacts (left only about 9 out of my 150+ contacts) with no easy way to add them back. What fixed the FB problem for me is the following:

Go to "Contacts"
Tap "Menu" button
Tap "Import/Export"
Tap "Import from SD Card"
- Status bar will show up "Importing from vCard" or something like that (1 out of ___) with accompanying status bar

Hopefully this will work for you too. It keeps your FB contacts, and merges the FB data with your existing contacts where applicable.

Best,

BCB