Help with Contacts, before I have to return Droid

celt943

Reaction score
OK, I'm about ready to return this phone.aaaarrrrghh. Can anyone tell me how to just have all my contacts on my phone? I don't use gmail or facebook and just want the droid to act like every other cell phone that I've ever owned and store my contacts in phone memory or on my SD card. I mainly got the DROID because I love the ability to have apps, but I don't want to have all my contact info stored on GOOGLE. If this isn't possible, I'm gonna have to give up and return the droid. Thanks for any help.

jay2068

Reaction score
You should return the phone if you are that unhappy with it. It's a google android phone and the whole experience is centered around goodle technology. I love the phone and have no issues with creating contacts with my gmail account. If your concerned about security put a super random password on the gmail account and make the gmail account name a bunch of random letters and numbers. This way you don't ever have to use the gmail email application but you get the benifits of the phone.

Have you tried the marketplace? I would think there are 3rd part apps that support contacts.

cgarnes

Reaction score
I had a similar problem, and I was just about in the same bit of frustration that you are in now. My first issue was having all of my Facebook contacts load first. Well, that's NICE, but it's not what I wanted. Here's what I did.

I added in my contacts of those I called most frequently, and I see there is a way that you can import your contacts in from an SD card, if you have one loaded.

Once you have a contact entered, you can select the "star" in the upper right hand corner of your contacts screen, and that will create them as a favorite and make them easier to find.

I also found out that we can create groups of contacts, and I am working on that now. For instance, the huge list of friends in my Facebook can simply be lumped into one group that I will call Facebook, and that will narrow things down considerably! I'm ENCOURAGED now...

The other thing that was bugging me was the fact that if I wanted to send a new message to someone - I was having to manually key in their cell phone number (and that ticked me off bigtime). After having read on here (and a link to the Droid User's Manual (found here), I am THRILLED.

I hope this helps you... the Droid is a little different, but I think it's all going to be okay (at least for me).

cgarnes

Reaction score
Just an FYI: Refer to page 24 in the User Manual, linked above. Here's a copy/paste (for quick easy reference):

Groups
Find it: Contacts > Menu > Display options
You can put your Contacts into groups that you create
(like “friends”, “family”, or “work”). Then, you can find
contacts faster by showing one group at a time.

Source: Page 24 of the 56 page Droid User's Manual.