Help with 911.

KyKy

Reaction score
3 DAYS AGO, I WAS ATTACKED IN A HOME INVASION. WHEN I COULD FINALLY GET TO MY PHONE, IT TOOK ME WAY TOO LONG TO MAKE A 911 CALL: HOME KEY>>>>SLIDE TO UNLOCK>>>>>>>PHONE ICON>>>>>>DIALER>>>>>#9 (SPEED DIAL TO 911. BUT, I MESSED UP THE SEQUENCE OR THE TIMING, OR SOMETHING, AND IT WOULDN'T GO, SO I HAD TO BACK ALL THE WAY TO THE HOME SCREEN AND START OVER. THERE IS NO EASY WAY TO MAKE A 911 CALL. I SPENT 2 HOURS ON THE PHONE TODAY WITH VERIZON AND MOTOROLA...AFTER ALL THAT THEY AGREE. THERE IS A "EMERGENCY CONTACT" THAT WILL COME UP IF YOU USE A PATTERN LOCK, BUT THEN YOU HAVE TO STILL UNLOCK ...x2... AND IT ONLY TAKES YOU TO THE DIALER: YOU STILL HAVE TO DIAL IT. THERE IS A CALL HELP APP, STILL 4-5 STEPS. iS THERE NO WAY TO JUST HIT SOME ICON ON A LOCKED SCREEN AND CALL 911????

joseserna08

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. What phone do you have? I'm running a droid 1 with ultimate droid 2.4 and it has gestures. I make a m on my lockscreen, it unlocks and dials my wires cell. I haven't used app, but widget locker let's you put widgets on your lockscreen. I think you would be able to put a direct dial. Let me know what phone you have and i'll see what could be done.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes I was going to suggest widget locker. I think there may be a way to add a direct dial but I wouldn't do that as I would be a fraid I would be dialing 911 in my pocket. You can however make a shortcut to the dialer right in the lock screen as such:

aefe235f-97c6-624f.jpg

The phone icon takes me straight to my dialer

tappin and a talkin

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
I played around a bit, and this is what I came up with.

I'm using Call Widget Pro. There are other widgets that should work, including the stock Contact Quick Task widget. I just don't like that one.

First I created a new contact. I called it Emergency 911. Other than the name the only entry is the phone number, 911.

Then I long pressed on the home screen where I wanted the number, added the widget, and went through the steps to chose the contact.

Call Widget Pro gives you two options. One touch dialing and two touch dialing. I used the two touch method. You have to hit the widget and then hit the call button when it appears. That should take care of false dialing.

Of course you have to be on the right home screen, or you could just add a widget to every home screen. Depends on how ready you really want to be.

Note: I have not tested this. 911 discourages people from calling just to test the number. If you want to test the method, I recommend creating a contact with one of the other three digit calling services.

jnashr

Reaction score
Adding a direct dial shortcut would porbably be the easiest thing. It takes no longer than 3 seconds to wake phone, unlock, and hit the direct dial icon. While it may sound like a good idea to have a shorter method, you will more than likely end up misdialing quite often, and dispatchers already take way too many misdials from cell phones.

OP
K

KyKy

Reaction score
Such great ideas

THANK YOU !! Verizon had NO solution after 90 minutes and 2 techs; Motorola was even less help. I like the idea of a widget on the home screen. Unlock and there it will be. I'll get back to you on what works best...without actually calling 911 !