Help w/ Ringtones

BGWC

Reaction score
So I've done some research and learned my lesson from downloading ringtones directly from Myxer. On my Motorola Droid, I cleared the data from Applications and downloaded them all to my SD card. In the Download folder, they weren't recognized under Ringtones.

I tried moving them over to /system/media/audio/ringtones/ with Astro, but it won't move them over. With the USB to the computer, I can only access the SD card. Any suggestions on how to get this to work? Thank you!

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So I've done some research and learned my lesson from downloading ringtones directly from Myxer. On my Motorola Droid, I cleared the data from Applications and downloaded them all to my SD card. In the Download folder, they weren't recognized under Ringtones.

I tried moving them over to /system/media/audio/ringtones/ with Astro, but it won't move them over. With the USB to the computer, I can only access the SD card. Any suggestions on how to get this to work? Thank you!

Welcome to the forum, BGWC! Just move your directory called "media" directly to the SD card or create one there if you have to. I see you have yours set up like mine as you put a subdirectory called "audio" in the media directory. And in the audio directory created subdirectories called "notifications", "ringtones", and "alarms". I just dropped my files into the appropriate folder, and assigned ringtones to contacts, alarms, notifications, etc. As soon as you unmount the Droid the ringtones show up on the phone lists according to where you've placed them.

For notifications: media/audio/notifications
For ringtones: media/audio/ringtones
For alarms: media/audio/alarms

Hope that helps! :welcome:

OP
B

BGWC

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum, BGWC! Just move your directory called "media" directly to the SD card or create one there if you have to. I see you have yours set up like mine as you put a subdirectory called "audio" in the media directory. And in the audio directory created subdirectories called "notifications", "ringtones", and "alarms". I just dropped my files into the appropriate folder, and assigned ringtones to contacts, alarms, notifications, etc. As soon as you unmount the Droid the ringtones show up on the phone lists according to where you've placed them.

For notifications: media/audio/notifications
For ringtones: media/audio/ringtones
For alarms: media/audio/alarms

Hope that helps! :welcome:

I tried to move the Media folder from System to the SD Card's main directory with Astro, but it gave me an error. I copy/pasted the Media folder successfully, but I'm a little hesitant to delete it from the System folder. Is that going to be OK, and will it recognize the new location?

Were you talking about moving the file while the Droid is sync'd with the PC? If so, using which program and how? The only program I know of only allows SD card access.

Thank you so much for your help!

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No problem, we're all here to help. Yes, I was talking about being connected to the PC via the USB charging cable that came with it and then mounting the Droid.

As soon as you connect the Droid this way, it will be detected by the PC and when you pull down the status bar on your Droid, you'll see 'USB connected' as well as 'USB debugging connected'. Just touch the first one (USB connected) and select Mount. Then you can browse the Droid from your PC just like any other USB external storage device, create the folder, drag and drop, etc.

Be sure to 'safely remove' the Droid from the PC when you're finished. If you merely disconnect the two, you may have problems with the Droid later on.

I use Linda file manager but many others use Astro. Not much difference, they both give you that ability to explore the SD card. Does that help?

OP
B

BGWC

Reaction score
No problem, we're all here to help. Yes, I was talking about being connected to the PC via the USB charging cable that came with it and then mounting the Droid.

As soon as you connect the Droid this way, it will be detected by the PC and when you pull down the status bar on your Droid, you'll see 'USB connected' as well as 'USB debugging connected'. Just touch the first one (USB connected) and select Mount. Then you can browse the Droid from your PC just like any other USB external storage device, create the folder, drag and drop, etc.

Be sure to 'safely remove' the Droid from the PC when you're finished. If you merely disconnect the two, you may have problems with the Droid later on.

I use Linda file manager but many others use Astro. Not much difference, they both give you that ability to explore the SD card. Does that help?

I can't access the System folder from Windows while connected via USB, I can only access that with Astro. Astro won't let me delete/move the Media file under System.

Now that I have Media on the SD and under System, it shows all ringtones twice. :icon_eek:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If you're rooted, you can use root explorer to move all sounds to the SD card exactly as you're trying with astro or vice versa. Make sure to click mount r/w @ the top.

If you put all sounds on the sd and connect to the PC or reboot while connected, you can get a boot-loop. To fix this, I left one file in notifications on thevsystem & set that to default notification.

OP
B

BGWC

Reaction score
If you're rooted, you can use root explorer to move all sounds to the SD card exactly as you're trying with astro or vice versa. Make sure to click mount r/w @ the top.

If you put all sounds on the sd and connect to the PC or reboot while connected, you can get a boot-loop. To fix this, I left one file in notifications on thevsystem & set that to default notification.

I'm not rooted, so that might be the problem...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If you're not rooted, you can't mess with the internal memory, but you can still put additional ringtones & notifications on he SD using hat file structure that I think we mentioned earlier.

grikinobe

Reaction score
So, in doing research about moving files in Astro, the conclusion I'm coming to is that I have to be connected to my pc?? I'm really not following this at all. Sorry, still learning this app that everybody is raving about and I am finding it more of a pain in the butt than anything. Basically what I want to do is download ringtones and set them for specific contacts. I've searched through the forums and haven't really found anything to help me out. Sooooo.....any advise here would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

dkelly701

Reaction score
Use either Astro or connect to your computer to create folders on your SD card. In the root directory of your SD card create the following folder structure. Media>Audio>Ringtones. Put any files that you want to use as ringtones in this ringtone folder you created. Any mp3 files you put in this folder should show up in the list of available ringtones in your apps. Under Audio you can also have other folders such as notifications, audiobooks, etc. You DO NOT need to push files to the internal phone memory for them to show up as available ringtones.

There is also an app called Rings Extended that will allow you to pick any mp3 to use as a ringtone.

Hope that helps.

So, in doing research about moving files in Astro, the conclusion I'm coming to is that I have to be connected to my pc?? I'm really not following this at all. Sorry, still learning this app that everybody is raving about and I am finding it more of a pain in the butt than anything. Basically what I want to do is download ringtones and set them for specific contacts. I've searched through the forums and haven't really found anything to help me out. Sooooo.....any advise here would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

grikinobe

Reaction score
ok, I already had a file under my sd card for ringtones. But I'm not getting how to move them. I long press on the file and select move, but then what?? Sorry, but I'm just not finding this app very user friendly. Are there better ones out there? Or am I just that stupid???

grikinobe

Reaction score
Scratch that last post finally figured it out....duh! OK, next issue....I changed the name of some ringtones that just downloaded as "file" and now it won't recognize it. Any way to get around that one?????

dkelly701

Reaction score
Make sure that their file name extension is still correct after you rename them, ie, don't forget to keep mp3 as the file name extension. The file must be one that Android recognizes as being compatible as a ringtone.

Scratch that last post finally figured it out....duh! OK, next issue....I changed the name of some ringtones that just downloaded as "file" and now it won't recognize it. Any way to get around that one?????

grikinobe

Reaction score
Gotcha!!! I did take that off the name of the file. Thank you so much for your help and patience....I might get this thing totally figured out by the time I am ready for an upgrade....