Help Voice-mail Not Working!

cj1896

Reaction score
So I tried to switch to the Google Voice Voice-mail and the setting showed it switched over. I hadn't received a voice-mail for a month so I was a little suspicious. A friend of mine notified me that all they got was a busy signal when they got to my voice-mail. I tried switching it back to carrier service and it is still a busy signal. Has anyone else run into this? Does anybody know how to fix it?

Silver Member
Reaction score
did you perform the steps to forward your voicemail? it's possible a number was typed in wrong.

the best way to test if your GV is working is to call the number assigned to you.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So I tried to switch to the Google Voice Voice-mail and the setting showed it switched over. I hadn't received a voice-mail for a month so I was a little suspicious. A friend of mine notified me that all they got was a busy signal when they got to my voice-mail. I tried switching it back to carrier service and it is still a busy signal. Has anyone else run into this? Does anybody know how to fix it?

Just setup Google Voice myself, and I had my roommate leave me a test voicemail to check it out. That worked. Haven't missed any calls since then. Can't offer any advice, but I'll bump your thread back up the list!

OP
cj1896

cj1896

Reaction score
Yes, I performed the tasks through the web interface to activate the voicemail on my phone (*71 etc). The fact that I can't switch back even to my carriers service is kind of worrysome. I haven't rooted or done anything crazy to my phone. Thanks for the bump.

Silver Member
Reaction score
you have to switch by either unforwarding or reforwarding back to your original number. the app means nothing without those steps.

OP
cj1896

cj1896

Reaction score
Do you mean in the setting>call settings>voicemail service or the activation/settings through the google voice website?

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol no, i mean the *71. the forwarding happens at the carrier.

OP
cj1896

cj1896

Reaction score
Yeah I had done the *71, I was able to deactivate it, and switch to my carrier and now at least that works. Just one more question though. If I want to switch it back to google voice do I do the *71 carrier activation first (this is what I did the first time) or do I go ahead and change it over in the call settings then activate it. Thanks for the help!

Silver Member
Reaction score
correct. like i said, though, you should be able to call your google phone number and go straight to vm.

zebrajeb

Reaction score
OK 640K - walk me through this. I had Google Voicemail activated on web for my Blackberry when I got the Droid. I installed GV app on Droid and it didn't ask me anything that I remember about forwarding.

Today, found out when you call my Verizon number it goes to Verizon instead of Google voicemail. When I look at settings on the Droid it says voicemail is Google voice. I follow the voicemail settings on the Droid and it says to dial *71 plus my Verizon number. When I do that Verizon says "Your feature cannot be activated."

Any suggestions on how I get it so that calls to my Verizon number go to my Google voicemail?

Thanks

John