Help - Using Droid X Overseas with Skype Mobile !

Alexpho

Reaction score
Hey guys, Newbie here. I have the DX and service with Verizon Wireless. I plan to go away on vacation to Asia for around 2 months. I have been thinking on what to do for mobile phone and internet service. You know, the luxury we have here in the States. I called Verizon to find out what my options are. I was very disappointed. The international calling rates are a whopping $2 to $3 per minute and unlimited data plans are up to $60 per month!! Though they are all high, there are scenarios where our DX can still be utilized. THE KEY LIES IN THE SKPE PHONE feature of DX ! Unfortunately, I am not all that familiar with Skpe on the DX.

Does anyone know or have experience in using Skpe while overseas on the DX?? What I would like to do is drop my plan down to the cheapest calling plan but jack up my data plan. So my main source of communication would be accessed through WIFI or the data signals, all internet based. Though it is on, I will not answer regular calls or make regular calls, fearing the cost.

I hope someone can shed some knowledge about Skpe via DX.

Thanks

EbE404

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, Skype on the Droids only works over 3G-not WiFi. I would suggest checking out Fring as an option.

Also, depending on where you're going to be and how much you are going to be moving around, you might want to look into something like Boingo for access to more WiFi hotspots:

Boingo Mobile | Wi-Fi Access for Mobile Devices. 125,000+ Hotspots Worldwide

This should be used with a Boingo account to actually access the paid hotspots, but the price is very reasonable for what you get. Unfortunately, iPass stopped providing consumer accounts, but iPass on my iPad saved me several times while traveling internationally. Boingo is probably the next best option, although I don't have direct experience with them yet.

OP
A

Alexpho

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I do have some understanding now. So the phone signals ( 3g) are actually the same signals as how the Droid would receive its internet? Well i hope China and Thailand will have 3g. I think they do. I know Thai also have GSM network, so what's that?

EbE404

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I do have some understanding now. So the phone signals ( 3g) are actually the same signals as how the Droid would receive its internet? Well i hope China and Thailand will have 3g. I think they do. I know Thai also have GSM network, so what's that?

GSM is an alternate mobile telephony standard-it is an alternate to CDMA. These are essentially different networks and are not compatible with each other. Your Verizon phone uses CDMA only, thus is will not work on GSM networks, which are far more common outside of the US. In short, you will not get cell or 3G coverage outside of the US, so your only option is going to be to use WiFi.

Not a terrible thing, since you avoid getting bent over with outrageous roaming charges, but it will limit your connectivity.

DennisLWilson

Reaction score
If you use Verizon over in Thailand, it is possible that you will get coverage since they use CDMA over there. But ... be very careful about using Skype (because it MAY work!). Check with Verizon to insure that your Skype calls will not be billed at the DATA rate -- which is very expensive internationally. If you use a local WiFi spot (perhaps in Airplane Mode(3G off)/WiFi enabled), any access you get through apps like Fring should be free.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
When I went to Italy for 3 weeks in August I just took my jailbroken iPhone with me. I activated it with a 3g Vodaphone SIM card for $60 and tethered it to my computer and used skype the whole time. I know that there are some carriers that have a system similar to a MiFi for that same amount. All you have to do is tether your DX to it and you're good to go. You won't get an unlimited data connection for less than that as far as I know.

tedmeister

Reaction score
Just found this thread whilst looking for further information on Skype over WiFi. Was in The Netherlands over the summer, kept DX in airplane mode (3G off) the whole time, and accessed WiFi hotspots in many places. Could browse, use Skype for chat, but no voice! After returning to the States and doing some research, I found that there is some kinda issue with the Skype client for Verizon that hijacks voice communications and routes them only to 3G. Verizon tech reps gave me some BS about DOJ regulations, but I know this works on iPhone.

So the big question I have for all you folks who know way more about this than I do: has anyone found a workaround? A hack? Anything? I want to be able to use my DX when traveling internationally where there is no CDMA, but lots of WiFi (like in lots of the hotels I stay in). Or I can use it through my laptop, which can be on the internet wired, then tether the DX, or access net forwarding through the WiFi on the laptop...various choices. But I will not and cannot pay other kinds of voice services that are crippling, especially when doing a 2 hour conference call!

Right now I only can do my voice calling with my laptop when I am in this situation via Skype and internet connectivity. I'd really love to be able to figure out how to make the Skype app on the DX work like it is supposed to (rather than this nonsense which appears to me to be a crass tactic to force people to use Verizon 3G minutes instead of Skype free calling).

Anyone know of a solution?