HELP. uninstall gingerbread .588 leak on UNrooted droidx

mgm7890

Reaction score
I've been searching this forum and have not found any thread that has my question so I am going to ask it here (my apologies if it is already posted and I just did not see it.)

I recently downloaded a gingerbread leak for my phone that is .588 system version. I downloaded the update package and changed it to "update.zip" then put the file on my phone and booted it up selecting to update from "update.zip". My phone is not rooted.

My question is how can I uninstall this version so I can get the official OTA update of gingerbread? I can follow directions if someone would be willing ot help me fix this. I have a Mac (if that makes a difference).

Thank you so much in advance for your cooperation and help.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Did you create a backup of your previous version? If yes, change the gb update.zip name to something else. Change your backup name to update.zip and flash it. If you didn't you will need to do a sbf (restore it to factory programming) for your phone. Google search "sbf Droid x on Mac, Droid forums". There are several guides with step by step instructions. Good luck!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
M

mgm7890

Reaction score
how is this different than holding power and the home button down and then selected "restore to factory settings"? Why do I have to sbf it and not do that.

OP
M

mgm7890

Reaction score
Ok. I will sbf but like I just asked, what is the difference between sbf'ing and selecting restore to factory settings from the droid menu when you hold the power and home button

Beka27

Reaction score
SBF will put you on Froyo 2.2.

Factory reset will keep you on GB 2.3, but will "reset" your phone (erase apps and data).

Factory reset does not change the OS, only SBFing can return you back.

OP
M

mgm7890

Reaction score
ok. thank you for explaining that to me

OP
M

mgm7890

Reaction score
Ok, I've been looking and can't find the area to learn how to sbf. I'm like a complete newbie and have no idea. And they all say it could brick my phone so I don't know what file to download and how to go about going back to 2.2. Can anyone else help me with this or point me in the correct direction to do this on a mac?