[Help] Stuck in a Loop

Joomla12

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a Droid 2 and after seeing all the things my Droid can do, he wanted me to root it for him and install a custom ROM. After rooting it and installing the D2 bootstrap, I downloaded the Apex RC2 using RM. It installed fine but now it hangs on the Google boot logo. Yes I wiped Dalvik and cache before the install and after. The only recover menu I can access is the stock one and can't find a way to boot into the CWM recovery. I really need some help because I don't want to have to tell him his phone is dead.

MindArchr

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a Droid 2 and after seeing all the things my Droid can do, he wanted me to root it for him and install a custom ROM. After rooting it and installing the D2 bootstrap, I downloaded the Apex RC2 using RM. It installed fine but now it hangs on the Google boot logo. Yes I wiped Dalvik and cache before the install and after. The only recover menu I can access is the stock one and can't find a way to boot into the CWM recovery. I really need some help because I don't want to have to tell him his phone is dead.

Did you try doing a battery pull and then rebooting? I've heard this can bring up the CWM recovery menu sometimes.

OP
Joomla12

Joomla12

Reaction score
Yes, I've read that on a lotta different sites but it never worked. I guess I'm not getting the timing right or something but I've tried 5-6 times.

MindArchr

Reaction score
When I tried to flash a rom on my D2 yesterday using Rom Manager, I could not boot into recovery either. I ended up having to use the D2 bootstrap, after trying to get Rom Manager to work.

OP
Joomla12

Joomla12

Reaction score
No. Right now I'm pretty much stuck until I can get into the CWM recovery since the stock recovery has no option to mount the SD card to USB. How did you use the bootstrap if it didn't boot?

MindArchr

Reaction score
No. Right now I'm pretty much stuck until I can get into the CWM recovery since the stock recovery has no option to mount the SD card to USB. How did you use the bootstrap if it didn't boot?

I SBF'ed back to Froyo and started over.

That's where it glitched. You need to install the D2 GB leak before installing Apex. SBF back to Froyo (most use RSDLite on Windows, I do mine the Linux way).

Once you get back to Froyo, root and download the D2 bootstrapper. Save the GB file on the SD card, install it using the D2 recovery, install D2 bootstrapper again once on GB (wipe data/cache/delvik/battery stats) and then install Apex.

Check this out: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/29/how-to-root-gingerbread-on-droid-2/

Last edited:
OP
Joomla12

Joomla12

Reaction score
I completely forgot about RSD Lite not needing the phone to be mounted to be able to flash an SBF. I'll try it here in a bit and see if it works.

OP
Joomla12

Joomla12

Reaction score
Well, I don't know what to do anymore. Neither RSD Lite nor both the computers I'm trying to do this on will detect the phone whatsoever. I have the correct and newest drivers installed but the USB notification sound doesn't even go off. It doesn't show under Device Manager either. Thing is the phone detects when the USB is connected which I don't get.

Last edited:

Phergy

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/91760-droid-2-hacking-rom-install-class.html

Step 3 is important. RSDLite will not work correctly (in my experience) if you don't run as administrator, but it won't throw any errors that let you know what is wrong.

I think RSDLite can also have problems on 64-bit operating systems, but I don't recall where I read that or what issues it caused.

The video on the post is also really useful. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

MindArchr

Reaction score
I could never get RSD Lite to work for me, and I tried everything possible. I am running Windows 7 64bit. I had to resort to using Linux and SBF'ing that way (which I know isn't an option for everyone...).