Help (send ringtones via text?)

jbird

Reaction score
I am wondering if there is some way to send a ringtone via text message with the droid

Thanks
Jbird

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Edited your title so we know what the post is before reading.

Zippster

Reaction score
My son was trying to do this and I couldnt believe such a powerful phone wasnt able to?

tunkafrankie

Reaction score
sending ringtones to motorola droid with mms

Yes...there is a way. You need to download a FREE app called, SaveMMS. Like I said, it is free under the market place. Just do a search under the market place and download it...did I mention it is FREE! This app lets you save any attachment sent via mms.

Once you have downloaded the app, you need to run it, then it will automatically retrieve any attachments and display them for you to browse. You can save PICTURES and MUSIC this way. Once you click on the mp3 file, it allows you to save it.

Once saved, go under music, then select songs. Your file should now be there. If you click your song to play it, you can press the menu button (the one with the 4 horizontal lines) and it gives you an option to set as your ringtone. You must set as your ringtone at least once, then it will always be available as a phone ringtone under settings/sound & display/ Phone ringtone.

ENJOY!!

Reaction score
Yes...there is a way. You need to download a FREE app called, SaveMMS. Like I said, it is free under the market place. Just do a search under the market place and download it...did I mention it is FREE! This app lets you save any attachment sent via mms.

Once you have downloaded the app, you need to run it, then it will automatically retrieve any attachments and display them for you to browse. You can save PICTURES and MUSIC this way. Once you click on the mp3 file, it allows you to save it.

Once saved, go under music, then select songs. Your file should now be there. If you click your song to play it, you can press the menu button (the one with the 4 horizontal lines) and it gives you an option to set as your ringtone. You must set as your ringtone at least once, then it will always be available as a phone ringtone under settings/sound & display/ Phone ringtone.

ENJOY!!

Excellent description of a useful tool for receiving files, sadly this thread is about sending ringtones :)

tunkafrankie

Reaction score
sending from phone...start from PC

My deepest apologies "homemadehitshow"...

...sadly, the only way I have found to send ringtones from your Droid is to start from your PC. Read all the way through

Use a freeware program like Audacity

Audacity: Download

if you take a song already on your PC, audacity will allow you to get the 30 seconds or so of that song you wish to use as a ringtone and allow you to export (save) it as an MP3 to your PC somewhere. After you save it, you may want to change it (in explorer) from an mp3 to a mid extension, as this is the common format for most cell's ringtone formats, especially for non-droids...in the event you were planning on forwarding this ringtone to a non-droid cell. Once that is done, use your email from your PC to send a pic msg to your cell, for example, if your cell # is 999-555-1212, email it to: [email protected]

Once you receive it, you have it as a txt msg or mms, and you can forward it from your phone to anyone else's cell. If you forward it to another droid, they must have SaveMMS to allow them to save the song and use it as a ringtone, if you send it to a phone like a voyager, then they can just save as ringtone easy (as long as it is .mid file extension). I like using my pc to edit my ringtones then send em to my cell, this way, I will always have them to forward to my friends, and if I lose them, I can just resend them. I have heard horror stories about people who have downloaded songs, lost them, and have had no way to retrieve them unless they put them in media center or someplace like that. Unfortuneatly, unless someone comes out with an app that makes it easier, this is the way to send from your droid to other cells as a text or mms.

Last edited:

dave21125150

Reaction score
I tried using chomp SMS and Handcent SMS from the Android market.It works but I get from time to time file size restriction issues.Chomp SMS emailed me saying that the are looking into it.they also said that the SMS provider has limitations on the sizes depending on the provider.You might want to check out those apps.They look like they might have. Some potential as to what you're looking for.

Reaction score
tunkafrankie, have you actually tried any of that.

.mid is a totally different kind of file than an MP3. .mid is a MIDI file which simply contains the 1's and 0's to convert a midi processor. MP3 is an audio file, totally different thing. I'd be happy if it worked but it seems very odd.

Anyone tried mobile17.com for ringtones, lets you load an MP3 and create a ringtone then send it to your phone. Not necessary for droid but useful for some.

djstar2k2

Reaction score
its just not avalible in android 2.0 but dont fret the G1 didnt ship with that ability and it was addressed quickly

tunkafrankie

Reaction score
audacity from PC works

Yes HOMEMADEHITSHOW, I have tried it successfully for about 8 to 10 ringtones. That's the only way I'll do it until they come up w a better way. Besides, I don't believe that anyone should post anything to this forum wout trying what they suggest and also being successful with what they suggest.

As "odd" as it sounds, it works. Until they come up win a better way, this is what I do with my Droid. And I have also been successful sending them to other cells via mms or text msg.

*** forget about the technical difference between mp3 and mid files (I actually have a computer science degree) the fact of the matter is that some cell phones (older non droid cells) only use mid files as ringtones. So you must send them as mid files...otherwise they are useless and all of the work you did was for nothing.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
I used to sing the ringtones as Sound MMS
can't do that on the droid? as long as its a wav i believe and under a certain kilobyte (56 i think) and doesnt go over 30s for length.
Thats what I used to do on my Samsung Omnia and lg Dare

code_black

Reaction score
So my girlfriend was wanting some ringtones for her EnV2. I told her I would send her some. So I googled on how to do this and ended up here. I tried tunkafrankie second step. And it worked exactly like I thought it would. So if you are wanting to send ringtones to a non-droid phone. Follow his steps. They worked excellent.

Last edited:

tunkafrankie

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks code_black. My second post is legit and does work. It may seem like a lot, but I just make it wordy and descriptive so its easier for newbies, or anyone, to follow. This method works for any phone...just follow my second post as instructed. Once u try it, u'll see that its not that much work. I don't know why people like HOMEMADE****SHOW try to put it down and try to sound like they know everything, when obviously they don't. Or they'd be able to answer the thread themselves. Maybe people like that are just trying to get u to use their software or sell something or shy others away from something that works. Thanks for the love code_black. Its appreciated...now spread the wealth! LOL

code_black

Reaction score
No problem. Some just probably don't want to think it is that easy. When in fact it is that easy. I'm a former technician with Sprint. Verizon and Sprint use the same CDMA technology. So I knew there was a way to do it. I just didn't know the domain to send it to. Thanks for showing me that.