Help (send ringtones via text?)

Reaction score
You guys are sooo crazy !!! Pointing out your qualification is a pure sign of not knowing what you are talking about. Code Black nice to pile on when you have no clue what you're talking about, please point me to these apps I'm sellng CRAAAZY

I'm still confused about what the complication is. On the Droid I can take any MP3 (usually shortened via Ringdroid) or download from Zedge or similar then I text message it to my kids or wife (using Env Touch and some old LG phone) and they come as MMS they click on them and save them as ringtones. There's really no need for everything else. If you don't have the MP3 on your Droid then Mobile17 is good, Zedge has a HUGE selection and you can transfer it to the Droid then text message it from there ?

I and do love my Grease Monkey Firefox scripts that allow me to totally ignore users here, it's as if they don't exist - and I did all this without a Computer Science degree.

code_black

Reaction score
I apologize. Did I say something that isn't true? I was just stating a fact.

And way to go with your grease monkey firefox script. Doesn't take a genius to write one of those.

ShotgunSam

Reaction score
You guys are sooo crazy !!! Pointing out your qualification is a pure sign of not knowing what you are talking about. Code Black nice to pile on when you have no clue what you're talking about, please point me to these apps I'm sellng CRAAAZY

I'm still confused about what the complication is. On the Droid I can take any MP3 (usually shortened via Ringdroid) or download from Zedge or similar then I text message it to my kids or wife (using Env Touch and some old LG phone) and they come as MMS they click on them and save them as ringtones. There's really no need for everything else. If you don't have the MP3 on your Droid then Mobile17 is good, Zedge has a HUGE selection and you can transfer it to the Droid then text message it from there ?

I and do love my Grease Monkey Firefox scripts that allow me to totally ignore users here, it's as if they don't exist - and I did all this without a Computer Science degree.

the hang up is when I do by shortening a mp3 to about 18 seconds and save it as a ring tone using ringdroid, when I try to send it, it tells me the length of my message is to long. I am trying to make ringtones for my fiance who has a new Alias2, I could send them just fine to her from my BB Storm but not the droid.

and further more, you are the one questioning these people so they decided to answer you with their degree. Why are you being a jerk>

ShotgunSam

Reaction score
furthermore, if i cut the ring tone to less than 15 seconds, it still does not work.

so the question is, do you know what you're talking about?

code_black

Reaction score
You might look and see what file format the ringtones are saving as in your girlfriends phone. And try and find a convertor if it's different from the mp3 file. Other than that. I do not know.

ShotgunSam

Reaction score
You might look and see what file format the ringtones are saving as in your girlfriends phone. And try and find a convertor if it's different from the mp3 file. Other than that. I do not know.

well right now, I cant even get it to send to her, i get this message "Message size limit reached."

Sorry, you cannot add this audio to your message.

and thats for 18 seconds, however, im going to guess it be the quality of the file, idk, I used a app on my BB storm and worked fine.

windstrings

Reaction score
found an app called "attachEmail"

I links with gmail quite well.. can send 11 meg songs and bigger and Astro won't.
I just sent another and the total size once it got to my computer email was 13287K in size!... I haven't tried bigger yet.

Astro "looks" like it sent it but when you go to your sent box in gmail, you will see it didn't send the attachment as it warns the file is too big to attach when in astro.

"attachEmail" simply browses to the file and you touch the file you want to send and it gives you a multiple of choices to send by... pick "gmail" and hit send, it goes!

It looks like it sends pretty quick but it actually takes a few seconds to send a big file if your just on 3g.

I tested it and it works!..... don't know why astro can't do it?.... I sent them a complaint.
Better yet, Why can't the droid do it stock without needing an app?

ToddClark

Reaction score
so, with all this being said, it looks like even with the apps available, the only way to send ringtones with the droid is to send to gmail? There is no way to simply send as an mms to another persons phone??

sam5828

Reaction score
how can you even send a regular video from the phone thru text? it always says file limit reached

Staywide8

Reaction score
With handcent, you can change the max amount you send in mms. I have mine set to 1 meg and it works.

tunkafrankie

Reaction score
losing credibility???

I too am confused as to why you feel like as if code_black and myself are CRAZZZZY?!? I first mentioned to you that I have a computer science degree since you mentioned

"mid is a totally different kind of file than an MP3. .mid is a MIDI file which simply contains the 1's and 0's to convert a midi processor. MP3 is an audio file, totally different thing."

Are you high? Who cares about binary code? The newbies in this forum only care about what works. mid files play sound, as you know, and are used as ringtones in some older models. My apologies if you are not familiar with that. I only mention my comp sci degree cuz it's crazy to get into such insignificant detail about file make up when someone just might want to send "I got a feelin" by the black eyed peas to their phone as a ringtone. FYI, if you are going to attempt to mock me cuz my education in comp sci, I would have left out your part about being proud of your "grease monkey firefox scripts" LMAO. Code black was a cell tech and he was looking for an answer, which, by the way, he confirmed that my method worked. You questioned it's validity without trying it? It's weird, I (and I think I can speak for code_black too) just get this feeling like you are some "alpha dog" type who is unhappy about other getting workable solutions and attempt to put them down for some odd reason. Why else would you say "I'd be happy if it worked but it seems very odd." It's a weird and simple attempt to prevent people, who may not know what they are doing, from trying it. Weird, and very "I don't like you-ish" is all code black and I are sayin. Dude, don't worry, just put up something that works, and someone else will try it and thank you for it...like code black did to me :)

tunkafrankie

Reaction score
Shotgun sam...I see you and code black are goignn back and forth with the whole sending ringtone thing. Some phones need the ringtone to be mid, not mp3 format. My wife had a razr, and that was the case for her. Newer phones, not so much. try what I posted earlier. I have been able to send 30 second clips, but you need to watch out for the file size. I think around 600kb??? You'll need to fool around with it. Of course, if your phone takes mp3's over mid, mp3 file sizes can be a lot smaller.

My deepest apologies "homemadehitshow"...

...sadly, the only way I have found to send ringtones from your Droid is to start from your PC. Read all the way through

Use a freeware program like Audacity

Audacity: Download

if you take a song already on your PC, audacity will allow you to get the 30 seconds or so of that song you wish to use as a ringtone and allow you to export (save) it as an MP3 to your PC somewhere. After you save it, you may want to change it (in explorer) from an mp3 to a mid extension, as this is the common format for most cell's ringtone formats, especially for non-droids...in the event you were planning on forwarding this ringtone to a non-droid cell. Once that is done, use your email from your PC to send a pic msg to your cell, for example, if your cell # is 999-555-1212, email it to: [email protected]

Once you receive it, you have it as a txt msg or mms, and you can forward it from your phone to anyone else's cell. If you forward it to another droid, they must have SaveMMS to allow them to save the song and use it as a ringtone, if you send it to a phone like a voyager, then they can just save as ringtone easy (as long as it is .mid file extension). I like using my pc to edit my ringtones then send em to my cell, this way, I will always have them to forward to my friends, and if I lose them, I can just resend them. I have heard horror stories about people who have downloaded songs, lost them, and have had no way to retrieve them unless they put them in media center or someplace like that. Unfortuneatly, unless someone comes out with an app that makes it easier, this is the way to send from your droid to other cells as a text or mms.

Trek6500mt

Reaction score
Thanks!!

Yes...there is a way. You need to download a FREE app called, SaveMMS. Like I said, it is free under the market place. Just do a search under the market place and download it...did I mention it is FREE! This app lets you save any attachment sent via mms.

Once you have downloaded the app, you need to run it, then it will automatically retrieve any attachments and display them for you to browse. You can save PICTURES and MUSIC this way. Once you click on the mp3 file, it allows you to save it.

Once saved, go under music, then select songs. Your file should now be there. If you click your song to play it, you can press the menu button (the one with the 4 horizontal lines) and it gives you an option to set as your ringtone. You must set as your ringtone at least once, then it will always be available as a phone ringtone under settings/sound & display/ Phone ringtone.

ENJOY!!

I jsut tried Savemms and it worked fine. Its very hard to believe a device like this can't do it right from the start though .. Anyways, thanks again!!

Now Ive read through this thread and checked into the apps talked about, I still cant figure out how to send a ringtone to someone from my droid. This shouldnt be sooo difficult.

Last edited:

Trek6500mt

Reaction score
Never mind. I tried HandCent. It worked fine. I didnt get it at first because from reading the Market Places users reviews it seemed to slow many systems down. Anyone else have this happen to them? I've only sent one ringtone so I dont know how this app will effect my system as of yet.