*HELP* Original droid razr battery question mark

jc562

Reaction score
Help i have a droid razr that i purchased from a 3rd party a few months back. The phone died when i got home and would no longer charge or recognize the battery. When the phone is off and on the charger i get a large battery symbol with a question mark in it. I recently purchased a replacement battery that came fully charged and replaced it.The phone boots up fine but the little battery symbol in the top corner has a question mark in it also. When i check the battery status with this new battery it says 100%-unknown . Also while the phone is off i get that same large battery symbol with a question mark. What can i do. I do not want to risk purchasing another battery to run into the same problem.

additional information
I am on 4.04.
I've done a factory reset many times.
Both water damage indicators are unactivated.
I've brushed the terminal connectors on both and battery and phone clean and sprayed it with an air canister(and yes the canister was held upright to prevent any fluids from spraying out.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it means that whatever battery was installed is not a genuine Motorola battery. I'd be especially suspicious considering the phone was purchase from a 3rd party. All I can suggest is trying to locate a genuine OEM battery with a return guarantee in case it has the same issue. Not sure how easy this is for a device with a non user-serviceable battery, as it's not as simple as walking into a Verizon store and purchasing one.

EDIT: Somewhat related, if you REALLY want to go for the gold, you can order a kit to convert your RAZR into a MAXX

http://www.cellphonerepairshop.com/...zr-battery-conversion-kit-to-droid-razr-maxx/

Last edited:
OP
J

jc562

Reaction score
Dave12308 said:
I am pretty sure it means that whatever battery was installed is not a genuine Motorola battery. I'd be especially suspicious considering the phone was purchase from a 3rd party. All I can suggest is trying to locate a genuine OEM battery with a return guarantee in case it has the same issue. Not sure how easy this is for a device with a non user-serviceable battery, as it's not as simple as walking into a Verizon store and purchasing one.

EDIT: Somewhat related, if you REALLY want to go for the gold, you can order a kit to convert your RAZR into a MAXX

http://www.cellphonerepairshop.com/verizon-motorola-droid-razr-battery-conversion-kit-to-droid-razr-maxx/

Thanks for the info. And the droid maxx is not an option since I want to keep money spent at a minimum. I might just have to scrap this phone and stick with my gs3.

And the reason why I'm trying to revive this phone is to sell the gs3 since I could use the extra cash.