Help! OD - Random Screen Presses and Touchscreen becomes unresponsive.

bjy20716

Reaction score
Help! On my OD I am experiencing Random Screen Presses and the Touchscreen and buttons become unresponsive.
It appears on my phone like the screen was touched 50 times. The home screen will go back and forth between the 5 screens or it will open random apps or type stuff randomly.
The Touchscreen and buttons become unresponsive and I cannot do anything except try to reboot but when I reboot it happens again.

I am using Peter's GPA 19 currently but this also happened in Stock Rooted 83G. I have tried flashing roms multiple times with wiping and formatting.
I also flashed the SBF, installed recovery and root and then flashed GPA19 again.

It appears that whatever rom I am on this random screen press thing happens.

It also appears that it begins to happen more when I start to install apps.

Has anyone had random screen presses?

Help!

Thanks

bjy20716

Circuitsoft

Reaction score
I've seen this on cheap 3rd-party chargers. The charger generates electrical noise that interferes with the touchscreen.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had this happen on my OG droid around March or April, but it only effect the right 1/3 of my touch screen. It started with random movements for a week or two and then progressed to complete unresponsiveness in that 1/3 of the screen. At that point I just used my phone by not having anything on that 1/3 of the screen/opening my key-board to get into landscape mode and/or use the D-pad if I had to. After a week or two of the, the middle 1/3 started with the random touches so I knew it was starting to go out as well. Being well out of warranty my options were EFT for $350, full price new device, or repair shop to replace my digitizer for something like $80. I choose plan D and ordered my own replacement digitizer for $20 and used a video on YouTube and fixed it myself. It's still going strong today... but the doing repair isn't for everyone.

OP
B

bjy20716

Reaction score
Can you PM me where you ordered the replacement digitizer from?

Thanks

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I figure I'll post it out here for others who might come across this with the same problem.

The digitizer came from here: Amazon.com: Verizon Motorola Droid A855 Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement Glass Repair Part: Cell Phones & Accessories
I also ordered this set of tools: Customer Image Gallery for Tools for iPhone and most of phone
but it looks like they have since changed what comes in that kit, and their ratings have dropped off, so you might go with a different kit, but you need the case opener tools and the suction cup helps, just make sure you get the right size torx they say you need in this video (I think it was a T5):

[video=youtube;dE81IaQHEHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE81IaQHEHc[/video]

Phreon

Reaction score
I've had the exact same problem with my A855 Droid running GPA 19. Thing is, it only seems to happen when I let it run at 1 GHz for extended periods of time. If I keep the governor down to 800 MHz, it never happens. I suspect either the processor (or some other subsystem) generates harmonics that are whacking out the digitizer at that speed or there's just a wacko bug in the code somewhere.

Of course when the screen has gone berzerker, you can't get to the menu to change the speed back. A battery pull and reboot (or two) always seems to reset it back to 600 MHz.

Phreon

andrii

Reaction score
Hello I have some problem with touch screen in past.

some time on low battery random touch appear and on broken screen phone have same problem.

So if problem is hardware this possibly can help.

So I make some application for hot fix this until you change new screen.

app calls Partial Screen , easy to find on google play
Partial Screen - Android Apps on Google Play

Maybe someone this can help
Hope this can be helpful.