Help... new to Droid and I can't get my phone to boot...

pb4uxplode

Reaction score
Just switched from BlackBerry last week since my contract was finally up... rooted and installed rubix focused per the general positive suggestions on the site...

Everything was fine, then I decided to look for a theme. I installed a theme that was supposedly designed for this rom, but when I installed it I kept getting a repeated app error for a ton of apps and I had to keep forcing closed. This went on for 10 minutes straight and I had to keep closing.

I did a battery pull (the savior of most BB issues), and looked up how to boot the bootloader. I thought the logical thing to do was just flash the rubix focused rom again, so I wiped cache, factory reset, wiped cache, and installed rubix focused again...

Now, my phone won't boot at all... it seems to be stuck in a loop of the "Droid" word pop-up and the red droid eye... its been like this for 20 minutes...

Please help a newbie out guys... my experience with custom operating systems in BlackBerry and Windows Mobile doesn't seem to be helping with my new Android device!

Thanks in advance!

tatuud

Reaction score
the first thing i would try is to boot into factory recovery and factory reset there. if that doesn't fix it your only option might be to sbf, that will bring you back to total stock condition. other than that i don't see too many options.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Did you make a backup before applying the theme?

Sent from somewhere...

OP
P

pb4uxplode

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys... I just got back from lunch, and tried the first tip of using the stock bootloader to factory reset... (hold the home key when powering on, then pressed search button).

After this, it is not moving past the Motorola screen at all. I renamed the ROM I installed something different from update.zip... should I try renaming the file on my coworker's DINC and then trying to use the stock bootloader to apply update.zip?

As far as the other method of using sbf... got any pointers? I noticed the stickied thread from a moderator stating nobody is allowed to link or host sbf's, so is there somewhere I can go to get it from Verizon or Motorola?

I did a backup in Titanium Backup... but I didn't realize until I started trying to fix things that there was a different backup method... I'm sure my next time attempting this will go smooth (I remember when I first upgraded my BB to a leaked OS and bricked it as well)...

Thanks for the suggestions guys... nice to see a SUPER moderator take time to try to help me out too!

OP
P

pb4uxplode

Reaction score
Well I went ahead and tried this since it seemed at least partially logical to me, and this is what I'm ending up with:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I take it this happened because the update.zip file was not the stock rom that came with the phone?

OP
P

pb4uxplode

Reaction score
Thanks for the link tat... in reading the instructions, it says "Note: If your bootloader is 30.04 then this will not work for you until the newer sbf is released"...

When I went into it on my phone, I noticed mine is 30.04 (not the 30.03 suggested in the thread)... Do you know if the new sbf file is even out yet?

tatuud

Reaction score
Thanks for the link tat... in reading the instructions, it says "Note: If your bootloader is 30.04 then this will not work for you until the newer sbf is released"...

When I went into it on my phone, I noticed mine is 30.04 (not the 30.03 suggested in the thread)... Do you know if the new sbf file is even out yet?

from what i have read, if you're on 2.3.15 it doesn't matter if the bootloader is 03 or 04, you can still use the 2.3.15 or 2.2 sbf. it has been done by another member at a different forum. the new phones being sent out are 2.3.151, which is 04 bootloader but i think the important part is that you're on 2.3.151. someone can correct me if i'm wrong but i think you're better off flashing 2.2 than the leaked sbf, which by the way is out for the leak, which it doesn't look like you're on anyways. wow, i hope this makes sense to you.

OP
P

pb4uxplode

Reaction score
Well thanks for the tips all... the sbf links are blocked here at my office computer, so I may have to wait until I get home...

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the size of the files? Would it be worth my time to just download them on my buddy's DInc and copy them to my PC's HD?

I'm just a bit nervous since my home computer is Windows 7 x64, which the threads seem to suggest is problematic.

tatuud

Reaction score
go to rootzwiki, they should have the full correct sbf for you there.

OP
P

pb4uxplode

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys... I got home and went ahead and did an SBF flash of the 2.3.320 release, and my phone is no longer in paperweight mode...

I really appreciate the help and look forward to being active in the forums... Crackberry has officially been replaced!