Help, my touch screen quit working!

psychicdroid

Reaction score
I didn't drop it or do anything else to it. Picked it up when my daughter called, worked fine. Sent my youngest daughter a text, and when her text came in I couldn't swipe to unlock it. Pulled the battery, nothing. Did a factory reset, nothing! I gotta go out of town tonight and I need my phone. Verizon offered me an early upgrade, and if the bionic was out I would jump on it, but I don't want to upgrade this close to the bionic release.

lxJGTxl

Reaction score
My friend had a different touch screen phone. When his stopped working, he pulled the battery and put he done screen down into the sun for a few min or an hour or something. After he popped back in the battery and it worked. Doesn't sound like the safest solution to me, but if you want you can give it a shot.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using DroidForums

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Not sure I understand how you did a "factory reset" without the touch screen working, but both our Droid2s had the problem of not being able to unlock the phone on an incoming call at random times. A battery pull would restore the phone but the screen freeze would eventually happen again. I did the factory reset on one of the Droid2s, but it didn't help. Three weeks ago, I brought the phones into the Verizon store, and the rep took them into the back room where they hooked them up to the computer and did some mysterious hokus-pokus on them. He brought them back and just said there were some "bugs" in the phone, one worse than the other. Told me if the problem persisted, I could get replacements. So far, we have not had another screen freeze on our Droid2s. I did put Lookout Security on both phones, but I don't think it was buggy software that I had installed. I''d bet it was a result of adding and uninstalling unpolished apps that left corrupt files on the phone.

OP
P

psychicdroid

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of apps on my phone ever. All of my apps I've had on my phone for the last year. You can do a factory reset without using touchscreen, you just have to know what buttons to use. Most of them use the camera button and the volume button combination. Since I had the OG droid, it has physical keyboard, so it's a little different.

Took it into the store, and the guy just looked at it and said nothing I can do. He was a salesman, and not a tech. I didn't have time to argue with him, gonna go tomorrow and see if I can get the tech to look at it. All I need is for it to love me enough to work for 2 more weeks when the Bionic comes out and then it can retire in peace.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
An update: since my previous post where I claimed that after VZW did the hokey-pokey on our Droid2s and we haven't had any screen freezes, it happend twice on one of the phones, last night and again this morning after checking the market for updates. Leaving the phone with the screen froze until I can take it to the VZW store and show them the problem. Not waiting for the Bionic, as 4G is useless for us, so I hope I could get a Droid3 out of the deal.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of apps on my phone ever. All of my apps I've had on my phone for the last year. You can do a factory reset without using touchscreen, you just have to know what buttons to use. Most of them use the camera button and the volume button combination. Since I had the OG droid, it has physical keyboard, so it's a little different.

Took it into the store, and the guy just looked at it and said nothing I can do. He was a salesman, and not a tech. I didn't have time to argue with him, gonna go tomorrow and see if I can get the tech to look at it. All I need is for it to love me enough to work for 2 more weeks when the Bionic comes out and then it can retire in peace.

At about the 17 or 18 month mark on my OG Droid, the right 1/3 of my touch screen went out. My options were to upgrade at full price, retroactively pay insurance over the life of my phone and file a claim, or pay to break my contract and go to another carrier... all of these options would cost me no less than $300. So I called around to some local repair shops and got quotes from anywhere between $65 - $150 to replace the touch screen, but they all wanted my phone for a couple of days and wanted the money up front to order the part... So I did some Googling and found that a replacement touch screen for the OG droid runs about $20 and there are more than enough detailed videos on youtube that explain to how replace the glass... had the screen a day later and my phone back to full working order another 15 minutes after that... Felt like calling up Verizon and the repair shops and telling them to shove it hahaha

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you've done a wipe/reset and it doesn't help then you have a hardware issue. If you have a hardware issue then it has to be exchanged to resolve the matter unless you can find a shop willing to repair it.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
If you've done a wipe/reset and it doesn't help then you have a hardware issue......

Brought my frozen Droid 2 into the same VZW store I visited earlier, and the rep placed an order for two replacements which should arrive next week. He did a soft reset, update (was up to date),, cache clean on both phones with hopes it would hold us over until the replacements arrived. That evening, the D2 froze up again. Learned that a Alt/Shift/Delete will work rather than a battery pull to force a restart.. No doubt then, if it's a hardware issue, a replacement is the way to go.