Help!! My lovely wife's ex-husband is hacking our Android phones!!!

longbow17

Reaction score
Hi all!
My wife and I really need your help! Her ex-husband who beat her when they were married has now found a way to reach out and abuse both her and I ten years after they’ve been divorced. I supported his children while he “went to school to better himself” for 8 years. He has finally gotten a good job and now is insanely angry that he finally has to pay the child support that he should have been paying all along.
About a year and a half ago, he began hacking our home computers. At that time we had no clue it was him and were very terrorized when he started leaving word documents up on my wife’s computer saying things like [expletive] you’d better get out of town if you know what’s good for you.” And “You’re nothing but a [expletive]!”
He then started uninstalling software, deleting files and being a general nuisance on both of our computers. I am a computer tech and own a small computer repair business in a small town, so I’m pretty savvy about viruses and such, but how he’s been doing what he’s doing, getting past every anti-virus and firewall I try, has been completely unnerving!
We began to be certain it was him when he changed my wife’s background to a Nebraska Cornhuskers one, and changed the password on my computer and left the password hint ‘football’. When I guessed “Huskers” it got me right in. Her ex has always been a huge huskers fan. There are also other things he’s said in documents that he’s left on my computer that leaves no doubt that its him, but thumbing his nose at us daring us to try and prove it in a court of law.
Now, he has widened his circle and has begun attacking our Android phones he started a few weeks back by just going in and randomly un-installing apps. But then I think he moved on to somehow jacking with the sim card to the point that the phone would quit recognizing that it had one in it. I went through 4 Motorola Razr phones in a month with the same issue. Each time Verizon would warranty. When they finally upgraded me to a Razr HD, the sim card problem stopped, but the app uninstalling on both my wife’s and my phone continued. I then broke the charging port on the HD, and the insurance company didn’t have any of them in stock, so they sent me a Samsung Galaxy S3 instead. The sim problems returned immediately, but in general I could reboot and the phone would work fine for a while until he snuck back in and messed with it again. Then I broke the charge port on it (I know I’ve been tough on phones lately…. The good thing being that I’ve learned how to solder a charge port to these tiny motherboards!!  ) and so, my wife was due an upgrade, so she got a new Galaxy Note 2, and I got her hand-me-down Razr M. This was 2 days ago. Within 12 hours, he was in her new phone deleting apps, and in my freshly factory reset Razr M doing likewise. But late yesterday he must have learned a new trick, because he started putting a swipe password pattern on the phone to where my only recourse was to hard reset the phone. Then he started putting passwords that required trying to get them, then, each time I reset the phone. He puts one or the other back on… usually within 15-30 minutes of my resetting the phone. Late this afternoon I received a part that I needed to get my S3 fixed, and moved the sim card over to it. Within 15 minutes of me getting it working and then setting it down to do other things, he had it password protected to where I had to hard reset it!! All told I’ve done about 8 hard resets in the last 24 hours. I’ve even gotten to the point that I ‘skip’ past the setup wizard just so I’m not putting any accounts on the phone, and he’s still accessing it with ease.
Over the last couple of weeks he’s used nearly a gig of my data on “app uninstalling” and I’ve had Verizon completely unregister my Verizon online. My wife and I have both changed our Gmail passwords, but I’m pretty sure that he is getting in and remote controlling these phones some other way. It doesn’t seem to matter whether we’re on Verizon’s network or on our home WiFi.

Help! Verizon talks to me like I should go to my basement and wrap my head with tinfoil! They claim there’s no way this is happening, and that they have no ‘department’ to which I can be referred to help me with this. This guy seems to have nothing better to do all day long (he’s a nursing home asst admin) than to mess with our phones constantly! Can anyone here tell us how he’s doing this, how to stop him, or better yet how to catch him and get him some new friends behind bars??
Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This is something you need to bring up with your local authorities. You could try enabling 2-step verification for your gmail accounts, but he sounds like a pretty experienced hacker so that may just slow him down and maybe even lock you out eventually as he can uninstall apps.

bigmatt503

Reaction score
Have you considered the tin foil hat?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 4

bigmatt503

Reaction score
Have you considered the tin foil hat?

u3ydade8.jpg

wcjeep

Reaction score
Did he change the Google backup email address for password reset? Recommend something long and complicated. Then abandon the email address. Authenticate the phones with a new unrelated email address. Also use a difficult password. Then create a third email address for actual use. How is your home wifi security? Might be time to wipe all home PC's at the same time. If he left something behind it would immediately grant back door access. Have you tried msconfig on the PC 's?

OP
L

longbow17

Reaction score
Good afternoon all!

First, I live in a town of 8,000. When I brought the PC hacking to the attention of the local authorities, they said (keep in mind I have a computer repair business) "ummmm, you'd probably be better at catching him than us".

Second, Yes I'm having the tinfoil hat fitted as we speak... including the copper trim for extra protection! :)

Now, back to business with updates. First, one thing I forgot to mention in last nights ramble is that I have rock solid proof that he has the capability of listening in on my phone calls. A couple of weeks ago, I was speaking with one of my local customers on the S3 about the fact that his home computer was running slowly. I use Logmein for a lot of my customers so that I don't have to do so much running around town. I told him on the phone that I would get into his machine and clean it up later that afternoon. It was about 45 minutes from the time that I spoke with the customer before I got to my PC to work on his machine. Before I logged into Logmein, I swung by my email to check it, and low&behold, there was an email in there from Logmein stating that the very computer that I had intended on working on had been deleted from my account that contains around 500 people's comptuers!! I ran up to the customers house to check, and the Logmein software was still on the customer's machine, so that meant that the jerk had gotten into my Logmein account through my PC and deliberately deleted just that machine!! If that doesn't freak you out and have you ordering your very on tinfoil hat, I don't know what will!! ***grin***

Ok, so updates from last night. I ended up having to factory reset my S3 twice more within a couple of hours of posting here. Then, once more right before going to bed I factory reset the phone, removed the SD card, skipped the 'setup wizard' so no google account was installed, then put the phone into Airplane mode. This morning when I woke up, everything was fine, so I left it in Airplane mode, went and took a shower, and when I came back, sure enough, the thing had the password drawing dots on the screen again. When I talked to the Fraud department at Verizon today, that last line actually left the rep completely speechless!!

So, I spent about an hour and a half on the phone with Verizon today, and the Fraud department ran all of its 'tools' and told me there was no sign of our phones being cloned. It was highly frustrating when she 'punted' and told me to contact my local authorities. As if the police were supposed to tell us how this freak is managing to f*** with my life!! I pushed back on that one, and got her to promise to report the issue to engineering and have someone contact me, but haven't heard a peep from them all day! I would think that Verizon would want to be all over this. If this is easy enough for this idiot to figure out, then there's got to be a coming PR nightmare for Verizon when how to do it becomes widely public knowledge!

One interesting side note, since my phone call to Verizon, where I stated several times that I was dedicated to helping them find out how he's doing this, and willing to help them prosecute him to the fullest extent, he's left my phone alone all day long!!!

wcjeep

Reaction score
Didn't think to mention a farrady cage for your phone after a full reset. See what happens. Also, what happens when the data is turned off on the phone?

tylerw1285

Reaction score
In my opinion it was a router hack to get your public ip. Then he didn't have to be within wifi range. Then setup a remote desktop connection with you desktop on router. From there he could get every private ip that connects to the router. If he cloned the public he could direct every keystroke to a server. Not to make dress up as tin man but at that point he would know where every device is and able to see hear everything near any device attached. The best chance you have is with your ip provider. They are required to monitor. Especially with the heavy traffic this would cause. They will have the ip of the attacking pc as well.

tylerw1285

Reaction score
Unhooking that desktop from the router asap is a good start. Good luck man and no tin hat please

bigmatt503

Reaction score
This hat you speak of, I need a size 8 (with the copper trim)
nu9ymyqy.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Longbow,

The biggest thing you need to do at this point is document. First, I would contact the state police if the local police cannot help you. Second, are you and the ex in the same state? If you are then stick with plan A (state police). If not move to plan B, the FBI. Since the hacking will have occurred over state lines, the FBI might want to get involved especially since he is interfering with your business. If you are all local, I would take him to small claims court. Present the evidence and get a judgement. The first time might be painful but once the process is solidified, you can take him back every time it happens. You will only get about $2500 per event but you can go back time after time and it will add up after awhile.

Next, I would start reading up on how he is doing this because until you know what he is doing you will not be able to stop it.

Good luck

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
The FIRST thing to NEED to do, is shut OFF remote access on ALL computers, change the WiFi encryption, and use altered passwords for every Email and web account you have.
Try using a VPN server, and talk to your ISP and infor them of the intrusions, and if possible from your side, log the external accesses into your IP from a remote server/VPN or any other point of intrusion.

There's always a method to track and identify any intrusion, look into your log files, something has to be there.
if he has the capability to do this, then he can also begin DDOS attacks with some feeling of impunity.

Using ANY communication device on ANY public network to spread fear or intimidation or threats is a felony, and a federal one on top of that, the FBI gets called in and will find him!

I wonder if he has access to, or owns a current communications service monitor, like the Aeroflex 3920 series, which can test encryption, digital radio and certain cellular data systems.
I personally have three service monitors, and the 3920 IS a very capable service tool, but might be too costly for a hacker to purchase, as mine was $39,000.00.

These are points of interest you can investigate, and if he's stalking you, he may be into more serious criminal activities than you may be aware of, and quite possibly attempting to associate you and your wife with his criminal dealings to hide behind.

The longer you allow his leash to become, the more difficult it will be to nail him down, so do all you can NOW, to minimize the damage he IS doing to you, then make him pay!

I wish you and your wife great luck in these matters, as NOBODY should be forced to deal with psychopaths like him!

viletha

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I'm going through the same thing right now. I've been dealing with it for a year and a half. Today was the first day I felt my phone was hacked though....

I have an ex that left me... He has been trying to get my fiancee to believe I'm cheating on him with him (the ex). He mentioned something today that I had said in a text to someone... Implying I said it to him... Plus in April he had two pictures of me that I sent my fiancee and we had no idea how he got them.

We receive emails with what he is trying to convince my fiancee of. I'm pretty sure he hacked my laptop because he knew way too much info that only my fiancee and I would know. Once I disabled my microphone that stopped... I do think he had a key stroke log on it as well as he would occasionally refer to something I had been searching.

The fun part is trying to prove this. The cops can't do anything about the emails because he could just deny it. There is no "proof" it's him... He's so good that I can't blame my fiancee for having is doubts... This man has made me doubt my own sanity...

Please help!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hello and welcome... Um.. As far as on a phone.. If it has spyware on it.. A factory data reset will get rid of it..

On your pc.. They do have ways f scanning for this kind of stuff.. Another way is to back up your data and do a restore to a previous time..or a complete wipe.. If i were you.. My sanity and piece of mind would far out weigh any need for data on my devices.. I would promptly do a full wipe...

As far as the emails.. That's tough... Cyber law needs to catch up with regular law...sorry I can't be of any further help..