HELP! How do you move gmails to folders?

dro57

Reaction score
Ok...I have searched and searched, but how do you move an email from the inbox to any of the other folders I have established? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am using the Motorola Droid.

Joker

Reaction score
From your inbox, hit the menu>change labels>(pick your folder/label) and remove the check from inbox and hit OK. It should bring you back to your inbox and on top it should say that the coversation has been archived.

OP
D

dro57

Reaction score
When I hit the menu button when I'm in the in-box, I only get the following options:

Refresh....Compose...Folders...Accounts...Account Settings.

Am I missing some thing here?

Last edited:

Joker

Reaction score
Sorry left out a step. I meant from the email message not the inbox. But it sounds like you are using the "email" app (envelope icon with yellow rectangle and @ symbol) and not the "Gmail" version (envelope with Red M on white rectangle) of the email app (hope that is not confusing) as your options included "folders" instead of "view labels" from the inbox. If you used "Gmail" app you will be able to change the labels for your email as above, with the correction I just mentioned.

OP
D

dro57

Reaction score
Ah....now I get it. Thanks a million!!

So, it appears for my yahoo or corporate outlook emails which I receive under the other app, I won't be able to change labels? When I went to add account under the red label email app, it seems I can only add other gmail accounts?

Joker

Reaction score
Ah....now I get it. Thanks a million!!

So, it appears for my yahoo or corporate outlook emails which I receive under the other app, I won't be able to change labels? When I went to add account under the red label email app, it seems I can only add other gmail accounts?

No Prob.

As for the yahoo and corp email, those have to be under the "yellow" email app. I have not found a way to file emails into folders with that particular app. I have read others using K9 app (available in the Market) but don't know if it will allow you to change folders as I don't use K9. And yes the Gmail app is only for gmail accounts.

To sync 4 days means that the app will only display the last 4 days of email. Actually it more like the past 3 days, plus the current day I believe. The emails stay stored on whatever server so you can still access old email of the PC with your usual log in fashion.

OP
D

dro57

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good info. I dumped my Gmail from the yellow app and are maintaining my Yahoo and Corporate emails on it only.

Just to confirm, after I change the label of the in coming mail and check off the left hand box on the email, I just hit "Archive" and it sends it off to that folder correct?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good info. I dumped my Gmail from the yellow app and are maintaining my Yahoo and Corporate emails on it only.

Just to confirm, after I change the label of the in coming mail and check off the left hand box on the email, I just hit "Archive" and it sends it off to that folder correct?

You might want to explore using K-9 and have it point at all of your email sources, including Gmail and your other accounts. It should provide a single point management (if you want that) with the capacity to move email around to various "folders" appropriately.

Joker

Reaction score

Close, you will have to select the new label/folder, otherwise it will just archive into your inbox.

2 ways to change labels.

1. From the inbox (touch) the grey check box to make green (can do multiple if you like). Menu shows up on the bottom. Select Label, list of your created labels shows up, select desired label, but be sure to unselect "inbox". Select ok and it will automatically archive it. You will see a confirmation at the top in a light yellow bar with a choice to undo.

2. If you are already in the message that you wish to file, select menu>change labels, select your desired label, once again be sure to unselect "inbox", select ok and it will automatically archive it. You will see the confirmation at the top in a light yellow bar with a choice to undo.

jwith2boys

Reaction score
thanks for all this good info... however I am a newby. I am also trying to move emails out of my gmail inbox to folders. All of this works when I am on my droid, but then when I log into gmail from my computer those messages are still in my inbox.. am I missing something? thanks.

Joker

Reaction score
thanks for all this good info... however I am a newby. I am also trying to move emails out of my gmail inbox to folders. All of this works when I am on my droid, but then when I log into gmail from my computer those messages are still in my inbox.. am I missing something? thanks.

Check that the background data and auto sync is turn on (menu>settings>accounts & sync) also be sure that there is circle with the arrows going around next to the account you are referring to is green. This will allow what you do on your phone to sync with what you see on the pc and vice versa.

Joker

Reaction score
You can use the power control widget to turn on/off the background sync quickly from the home screen. I just leave it on, to simplify my life.

rcali001

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Close, you will have to select the new label/folder, otherwise it will just archive into your inbox.

2 ways to change labels.

1. From the inbox (touch) the grey check box to make green (can do multiple if you like). Menu shows up on the bottom. Select Label, list of your created labels shows up, select desired label, but be sure to unselect "inbox". Select ok and it will automatically archive it. You will see a confirmation at the top in a light yellow bar with a choice to undo.

2. If you are already in the message that you wish to file, select menu>change labels, select your desired label, once again be sure to unselect "inbox", select ok and it will automatically archive it. You will see the confirmation at the top in a light yellow bar with a choice to undo.

Thanks for this awesome tip! Been meaning to figure this out for a long time!

...sent from my Rooted Droid 1 @ 1.2ghz using tapatalk

jwith2boys

Reaction score
thanks. the sync seems to work now... I had it on, but it still appears that it takes a while for the messages that I move using Droid to also move in my GMail from PC. This is not a problem, just had me confused at first. thanks.