Help for a possible new Droid user.

Insidious

Reaction score
Is be glad to help. If you don't mind me asking, what is the max you'd be willing to spend on a phone?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

vey

Reaction score
I currently have a palm pre plus but my friend who got an iphone offered me his droid 1 in great condition and a case for $35. I doubt anything will beat that.

I paid $50 for one of those 6 months ago. What do you want to know?

stemo

Reaction score
I have no problems with angry birds space on my D1. I've had it for a couple weeks and love it. O haven't seen any apps that it will not run yet.

vey

Reaction score
I suppose there might be some apps that will only run on the newer OS's. And there are a few apps that won't run on certain machines, the Droid among them, but I don't think one would miss them.

I think I read about an app once and when I tried to install it, it wasn't in the Market (know called Play apps) because Play screens out apps that I can't install. But there was a substitute that worked on "older" (the Droid is about 2.5 years old) phones.

The key is decide if there is a killer app one wants and then investigate if that particular app will run rather than other way 'round.

There several are apps that won't run unless the phone is rooted and that might be where the rumor you heard came from.

Update: Temple Run shows up in Play, so it is compatible
Same with hanging with friends
and drawing will work, too.

Whether these games actualy do work is another story. Google the name of the program and add "Froyo" or "2.2" to the search line.

Last edited:

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also, one more thing. Do you guys think that it would be worth it to overclock the droid to 1 gHz?

Worth it?? Yes, its almost a necessity to be able to use most newer apps well...
I'd also suggest flashing a rom as well since they are optimized for speed and battery life...you'll want a froyo (android 2.2) based one for games

deduct

Reaction score
My 6year old son has my old DROID and uses it for games. He plays all the angry birds games and temple run on it. Among others. When it was my phone I had lots of games on it. As long as the game isn't too large or require dual core processor for fluid play, you should be able to play most of them on it. Great phone. I actually miss it sometimes.

Sent from my eclipsed bionic

Graymayre

Reaction score
Rooting and ROMing are almost a necessity for the OG Droid as carrier support development usually leaves the older devices behind. Dev teams never abandoned it tho and you will find a plethora of roms to go thru. You will want to consult with someone who will take you thru the step by step to get it set up well, as simple google searches on the subject will, while offering all good info, leave you wondering which link to click for hours on end and potentially leave you in one of many download link "minefields".

BIONIC running Eclipse 2.2 Red Carbon