HELP - flashed GPA16 with bizarre results

ErcDaMerc

Reaction score
Hey,

I recently flashed my ROM with Peter Alfanso's GPA16 and it was a bumpy ride but eventually worked out. I just did the same thing to my wife's phone (both Droid 1) and it seemed to go OK. I installed GPA16, the CPU update, and a theme I found here just like I did on my own phone and it worked fine. Then I installed titanium backup and restored everything (I did NOT backup or restore most of the things in red that have to do with the previous ROM).

Now I have 3G and phone service but I can't download from the market. I can search for an app but when i click download, accept terms and conditions, it replies Error "Facebook for Android" could not be downloaded due to an error. This happens with any app I select or when updating YouTube.

I also have a notification that reads, 'Google Talk authentication failed.' When I click it: Authentication Error | Google Talk failed to login. If this is a Google Apps account, confirm that Chat service is enabled for this account.

Then I wiped Dalvik Cache with no results.

I did notice that under settings-About phone on good phone 'my phone number' and 'MIN' are the same but on the bad phone 'MIN' is different.
Is there anything I can try other than wiping and flashing:blink:? If I did that I would of course be more selective about what to restore with Titanium Backup.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
ErcDaMerc

ErcDaMerc

Reaction score
In market, I hit settings, accounts, and switched google accounts. Now Market seems to work. I did this after finding this thread. It's a problem if you paid for apps on the original google account and these people haven't figured out how to fix this. If anyone has more information on this issue, I'd love to hear it.

I still think something is wrong because I can't set up her Email (Gmail works but her work email does not - she'll have to ask for help at work) even though all the settings are identical as before and the theme installed has some minor differences than on my phone but was installed from the same file.

kitcostantino

Reaction score
Allright, ErcDaMerc, I hope this helps. When flashing a GPA build, Pete suggests you
do a Data/factory reset at least 3 times and wipe the regular cache 3 times at least before
you install. I also wipe my dalvik cache 3 times before any rom. he also strongly lays out
the fact that GPA builds will not work with themes. He also says to not use Titanium Backup
to reinstall apps because it causes instability. Download them all again from the market and
after you do, click the restore button for each app in TitBackup and click the data only option. Done it like that 30 tiimesor so with no loss of stability on GPA builds. any theme is likely to mess it up. I love the stableness of his roms. He built a great name for himself by creating the
best possible rooted stock droid rom. If you want themes, tweaks, etc, I can personally
reccomend Simply Stunning 5.4 by Chevyno1. He seems to be, in my humble opinion at least,
the closest chef to Pete in stabiliity. The GPA builds were all i used for the first year I was rooted. They are stable and flawless. I just got tired of not being able to theme or reassign the buttons. Chevyno1's rom did that and more. There's an occasional glitch, but nothing major ever and out of all the non Pete roms ive tried, Chevy's are the best, hands down.
don't know if you've checked it out, but Petes cooking up a new GPA build now.
www.peteralfonso.com Hope this helps to some extent dude. -Chris

OP
ErcDaMerc

ErcDaMerc

Reaction score
Thanks, I will surely refer to this the next time I flash. I've also been wondering what to try for my second rom.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

projektorboy

Reaction score
The newest Cyanogen (7.0.3) is really stable and really zippy on the Droid. I've been using it for quite a while and it's a heck of a lot of fun. I don't know what I'd do without notification area toggle buttons anymore.

nbucko

Reaction score
Thanks, I will surely refer to this the next time I flash. I've also been wondering what to try for my second rom.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Try Project Elite. While I haven't tried CM I have tried GPA, MIUI and several others. I found that PE 4.2 worked really well for me, 5.1 not so much, and 6.5 is the fastest most functional yet.