help, droid maxx with busted glass

Terry Hutcheson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid maxx
dropped droid maxx and busted glass. now home and back buttons at bottom do not work. Do I need to replace glass, glass and digitizer, or glass, digitizer and lcd. Also how hard is it to replace?

OP
T

Terry Hutcheson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid maxx
i can find the glass and digitizer on amazon for about $25 but the lcd assembly is about $200. Not gonna spend that amount, can use insurance and get phone for 100

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yeah, in your case, if the digitizer isn't working properly now, it would need to be replaced too. I'm in the same boat with a Moto X however it's just the glass and the digitizer works perfectly. The glass alone can be replaced, but it's a chore and it will never be as nice as stock since the glass and digitizer are fused together with a clear optical adhesive and almost all the kits I've seen only send a piece of double-sided tape to attach at the top of the glass. Also, dust will be trapped between the glass and original digitizer. With a full glass and digitizer/LCD assembly, you will get the best results, but it's EXPENSIVE.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum Terry! Sorry to hear about your device. Personally I would go the insurance route since you have it.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.

tap'n on my S5

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Another vote for insurance.. Good luck..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
And I'll round out the responses...you've paid into the insurance (expense you can't recover), and if the deductible is only $100, I'd go the route of insurance as well - that is unless some downright complaining is fruitful. On the other hand a friend had a cracked S4 and the premiums paid over the last 1.5 years was $120.00 but the deductible was $189!

That is a rip-off policy and so I was able to get the carrier (T-Mobile), to replace the phone for free after a session of griping to the "Customer Loyalty Department" about how that policy was only meant to make the carrier commissions, and that a used, working phone could be bought in the open market for about the cost of the deductible. My second argument is that the insurance premiums were nothing but an added burden given the deductible being so high. My additional argument is that this phone being replaced was black-screen and so it would be unable to make ANY calls, not even 911 emergency calls and therefore there was no reason to be charging my friend for the monthly bill. I suggested we suspend the service. Once I said this, they agreed to replace the phone. They did this without a new contract agreement as well.

We then cancelled the insurance, reducing the bill by $8/month... Then I reduced the bill further by another $10/monthly for 2GB of 4G that was being purchased on top of the 1GB that was included in the plan, because the average monthly use was 5GB and after you hit the max of paid (or provided) 4G, you are pushed down to 3G anyway. This meant my friend was enjoying 4G for about 3/5 of each month and the other nearly half of each month was at 3G.

Why did I tell you all this? Well, it's because what things appear to be on the surface may actually be much different once dissected. Also, if you're a good negotiator you may be able to negotiate a replacement by using the leverage that your inoperatble phone will provide no benefit and so there's no reason to continue paying the monthly fee...so the threat is that you will suspend the service. This is a painful proposition for the carrier and they can be very willing to do what is necessary to keep that income stream from being interrupted.

YRMV