help configuring soft keys...

Reaction score
Hello all. I decided to try miui after i rerooted my d1 and i used to use blackdroid for roms. So far i like it but had a few gripes. I don't like the search button features at all. I can't for the life of me find out where to change this. I want to use Google search instead of the stock non rotating difficult to use search. Also the long press on the search button brings up go SMS not voice search. I looked in go SMS and settings but can't find this either. Anyone able to detail thilese changes for me please? Thanks everyone.

gwhiz377

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the google search, but for the other part, make sure you have the voice search installed. I think I had to download it from the market when first switching to MIUI. After that, I believe it automatically makes the long press go to voice search.

publicanimal

Reaction score
Yeah, you have to download Voice Search from the market for long pressing search to work with Voice Search.

As far as the search button > Google Search issue, it is a tad annoying... I even moved GoogleSearchBox.apk into /system/app and it still brings up the Miui search. However, the functionality is EXACTLY the same, the difference is only cosmetic. In fact the Miui search options are even more robust. Tap search, then tap menu and Search Settings and you can configure the searches however you want and select google as the default search engine.

OP

Reaction score
Ahh google voice search. Yeah I remember doing that last time but I guess I grabbed google voice by accident. Thanks. But the search doesn't hit internet result quite right. I type in 'usbank' and it comes up with last.fm login, Idk. also I just noticed that the recent screen doesnt do lanscape when the keybaord is open and long press the home button...

OP

Reaction score
I did download Google search. I cant figure out how to replace the Miui 'default' search with Google Search. More specifically I usually slide open my phone and just start typing on the hardware keyboard to google something. I just flip it open and type "droid forums' and then hit the enter key on the hardware keyboard and with other roms (Blackdroid) I would have the Google search box come up and after i hit enter when finished typing it would take me to a google results page in the browser. I cant find out how to set google search the the default search when using the hard keyboard from the homescreen.

I found this after looking around more and this works for the 1.7 ver MIUI and allows me to now select what happens when i LONG PRESS the soft key search button.

can someone make a .zip to take the input of the keyboard to give me an option to use a different search, plz? I hate the HIUI default lol

and thanks, btw, for the interest everyone.

publicanimal

Reaction score
Ahh google voice search. Yeah I remember doing that last time but I guess I grabbed google voice by accident. Thanks. But the search doesn't hit internet result quite right. I type in 'usbank' and it comes up with last.fm login, Idk. also I just noticed that the recent screen doesnt do lanscape when the keybaord is open and long press the home button...

I just search usbank and tapped "search the web" and I got the typical Google results. You do have the default search engine set to Google right?

Can't you just download Google search from the market?

Yeah, but his issue is trying to get the search button to default to Google quick search instead of the Miui quick search.

I did download Google search. I cant figure out how to replace the Miui 'default' search with Google Search. More specifically I usually slide open my phone and just start typing on the hardware keyboard to google something. I just flip it open and type "droid forums' and then hit the enter key on the hardware keyboard and with other roms (Blackdroid) I would have the Google search box come up and after i hit enter when finished typing it would take me to a google results page in the browser. I cant find out how to set google search the the default search when using the hard keyboard from the homescreen.

and thanks, btw, for the interest everyone.

I just tested and though the display isn't in landscape, if I pull open the hardware keyboard and start typing, it does initiate a search. The first key you hit pulls up the search box and leaves the input field blank, so you would have to hit the first letter twice. Hitting enter doesn't send the search, you do have to tap "search the web" to initiate the web search.

The lack of landscape display is obviously not ideal if you use the hardware keyboard often (I almost never use it), but it does work.

OP

Reaction score
right the non landscape is annoying and i guess i could survive if there was a fix for the orientation of the task manager AND the search screen. Thanks for the help but i dont think there is anything we can do besides have the DEV of the rom change it cuz i havent seen anything about changing what the physical keyboard does when pressed. :(

publicanimal

Reaction score
right the non landscape is annoying and i guess i could survive if there was a fix for the orientation of the task manager AND the search screen. Thanks for the help but i dont think there is anything we can do besides have the DEV of the rom change it cuz i havent seen anything about changing what the physical keyboard does when pressed. :(

Sorry to hear that you're not going to survive without the landscape orientation of the task manager/search screen. It was nice knowing you.

OP

Reaction score

Sorry to hear that you're not going to survive without the landscape orientation of the task manager/search screen. It was nice knowing you.

thanks for the reply i guess... thats just what i was looking for.

close thread.