Help ! Can't get Droid to power back up ?

JoeOxfordCT

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just joined this forum to help get up to speed on my Droid. I got the phone Tuesday and went through setup fairly painlessly. Played with the phone all day yesterday. Charged the phone off my laptop this morning at home. Phone was working properly. Left the house to drive to work and while on the road hit the little power button and nothing ? I'm at work now and took the cover off, removed & reinstalled the battery but still nothing. I left my power cord to charge it at home but I am a little nervous about my unresponsive phone....:icon_eek:

JackT

Reaction score
Are you sure your laptop was charging the phone? There have been some people that have had issues with either the cable not charging the phone (cheaper cables) or having to install specific drivers to get their PC to charge the phone.

OP
JoeOxfordCT

JoeOxfordCT

Reaction score
I believe so....charging on the laptop has been the only way I've charged the phone since I've had it. I get the "Droid" notification message when I plug the USB cable into the laptop. The charging icon flashes while the phone is connected to the laptop. Plus the phone wasn't fully discharged when I plugged it in this morning to top off the battery.......

procrastinator

Reaction score
I experienced something similar tonight. Had the droid connected to the laptop all evening, thinking it would charge while I played around with it. All of a sudden, it powered down and could not get it to power up. Finally plugged it into the wall and it powered up. When I checked the status, the batt showed 5%. I was using the cable that came with the phone. Go figure.

KtKitty

Reaction score
I got my Droid Thursday night. It was fully charged Friday morning and appeared to stay charged all day. I used it at 4 pm and when I started to show someone my cool, new phone at 6:30, it wouldn't turn on. I went home and plugged it in and still couldn't get it to power on. This morning it finally powered on and booted up but as soon as I unplugged it I got the low power warning. So even though it was plugged into the wall outlet all night, it hadn't charged at all. Within a 1/2 hour, the phone was charged half way.

Xris

Reaction score
Sometimes, letting the battery die won't let it come back on... I had to get a battery from my friends droid to get mine to boot again.

It has since died again, but the second time, plugging it in worked.

tjoebgen

Reaction score
I experienced something similar tonight. Had the droid connected to the laptop all evening, thinking it would charge while I played around with it. All of a sudden, it powered down and could not get it to power up. Finally plugged it into the wall and it powered up. When I checked the status, the batt showed 5%. I was using the cable that came with the phone. Go figure.

Sorry - I know this thread is a little old.

The laptop USB, although it is a "powered" usb port, does not put out the same amount of energy (approx 500 mA) for charging the phone as the AC charger does (factory = 1000mA I think). After spending all day getting to know the phone while it was plugged into the laptop almost the whole time, it eventually brought itself down to 40% before I put it on the AC charger. The next day I used it all day while on the AC charger and it stayed at 100% all day.

And, as it turns out, different brands of AC chargers have different power output. I bought some extra chargers and they are only 500mA, and some "rapid" car chargers that are 850.

NYZ93

Reaction score
If. You still can't get it to turn on try charging it with the wall charger
If still no response hold x on the keyboard then try to turn it on while holding x when the triangle with the! In it shows up click the volume up button then camera button then in that menu go to reboot with the dpad

If it doesn't start like that try starting it in safe mode (do a search in this forum on how to do it I don't remember )
If it still doesn't power on call big red (Verizon)

NYZ93

Reaction score
If. You still can't get it to turn on try charging it with the wall charger
If still no response hold x on the keyboard then try to turn it on while holding x when the triangle with the! In it shows up click the volume up button then camera button then in that menu go to reboot with the dpad

If it doesn't start like that try starting it in safe mode (do a search in this forum on how to do it I don't remember )
If it still doesn't power on call big red (Verizon)