Help before s3 purchase

electric turd

Reaction score
I am currently on an iPhone 4. I had a og droid before the iPhone, I have a few questions regarding the Samsung s3 or the razr maxx hd. I know the razr maxx hd could get me through a whole day on a charge. I have been looking through battery stats of the Samsung, can someone explain how long on average the s3 will go on a charge. I keep seeing on battery times of around 8-9 hours, is that just time of charge? If so that's barely enough to get through an average work day without charging. Can someone help me understand that?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I use my S3 in what would undoubtedly be considered moderate to heavy use. This includes 4g, internet, games, texting, music, kindle, play store, few minutes of phone calls and a live wallpaper.

I'd say I average about 14-17 hours (GSam says 23 hours, so that's what it'd be closer to with light use). No less than 12 if I spent all day in an area with little to no coverage and the same use.

Just be aware there are some battery setting issues that might cause insane battery drain at first, but are easily fixed. Hope this helps.

JRParsons

Reaction score
My settings are not battery friendly, and and I use my phone a lot. About the least I get is 10 hours, and usually I get 15+, there was a few days where I barely used it at all and I got 24. I have power saving turned off and my screen is set right around the highest brightness. I have about 5 accounts that update automatically every 2-4 hours. Although my area is bathed in 4g, my house is 3g, and I spend a good deal of the day on wifi. I play music about 4-6 hours a day via bluetooth, either to my headphones or on my Ford Sync. I unplug my phone at 7 am and have no problem making it to 7 pm.

alboboy10

Reaction score
First one is from today...18 hours almost (got up at 630) just got home at 12. That's on 4g throughout the day, and for about an hour I went at my friends where I have bad coverage. That killed my battery or I'd be at about 35-40 now.

Other pic with over 4 hours screen time had a lot of Wi-Fi but 4g use too.

This is easily the best battery I ever saw on an android. I tried the iPhone 5 too and it seems to drain a lot faster than my s3 even though that one was att lte.

Last edited:

kparks

Reaction score
electric turd said:
I am currently on an iPhone 4. I had a og droid before the iPhone, I have a few questions regarding the Samsung s3 or the razr maxx hd. I know the razr maxx hd could get me through a whole day on a charge. I have been looking through battery stats of the Samsung, can someone explain how long on average the s3 will go on a charge. I keep seeing on battery times of around 8-9 hours, is that just time of charge? If so that's barely enough to get through an average work day without charging. Can someone help me understand that?

U will not make it through a work day if ur a really heavy user I normally have to plug mine up at work then it's dead when I get home I'll get around 7hr with MINE from a full charge but the s3 will be improved over ur ip4 if ur worried about battery get the Razr MAXX hd if not I'd wait another month and get the HTC dna the s3 is old news now! Personally I can't wait to ditch this phone

JRParsons

Reaction score
kparks said:
U will not make it through a work day if ur a really heavy user I normally have to plug mine up at work then it's dead when I get home I'll get around 7hr with MINE from a full charge but the s3 will be improved over ur ip4 if ur worried about battery get the Razr MAXX hd if not I'd wait another month and get the HTC dna the s3 is old news now! Personally I can't wait to ditch this phone

There's something wrong with your phone or your battery, I have an app that used to take my Tbolt battery down in 3-4 hours, I can leave it on on my S3 and my battery will last more than 7 hours. To make matters worse my house is in a VERY weak signal pocket, and because the pocket is so small VW has no plans on correcting it. This has always made my batteries last less than most others.

Sorry you don't like your phone, sometimes if you get the right rep and make a well thought out polite argument, they will swap your S3 out for something else.

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
I use my SGS3 throughout the day for games, calls, texts, Pinterest (yes I'm on Pinterest shut up), a few internet searches, and email. I usually go a day and a half between charges--and I've never had to charge more than once a day.
On the other hand, I don't watch a lot of videos (YouTube's "gangnam style" and "reporter goes ghetto" are my favorites), so that might be a factor.

kparks

Reaction score
JRParsons said:
There's something wrong with your phone or your battery, I have an app that used to take my Tbolt battery down in 3-4 hours, I can leave it on on my S3 and my battery will last more than 7 hours. To make matters worse my house is in a VERY weak signal pocket, and because the pocket is so small VW has no plans on correcting it. This has always made my batteries last less than most others.

Sorry you don't like your phone, sometimes if you get the right rep and make a well thought out polite argument, they will swap your S3 out for something else.

My tbolt would last 4 hours from 100% to 0%.. My TBOLT extended would last about 8 hours if I didn't absolutely dog it so my statement is true and ur statement lines up perfect and the vzw reps are fn useless I tried to get them to replace it and they lie then when u call back they say u were giving wrong info by the rep and now it's too late to do what the previous rep said I made a thread about it look in my threads started called s3 messing up... And it still is can't wait to get the DNA

Last edited:

JRParsons

Reaction score
kparks said:
My tbolt would last 4 hours from 100% to 0%.. My TBOLT extended would last about 8 hours if I didn't absolutely dog it so my statement is true and ur statement lines up perfect and the vzw reps are fn useless I tried to get them to replace it and they lie then when u call back they say u were giving wrong info by the rep and now it's too late to do what the previous rep said I made a thread about it look in my threads started called s3 messing up... And it still is can't wait to get the DNA

Again, sorry you're not happy with your phone, my Tbolt would get about 8-10 hours with the Rezound battery, your usage must be very power hungry. You probably need a Maxx. I think most people are finding the S3 battery to be sufficient. It's the best battery I've had in a 4g phone (Tbolt, bionic, stratosphere and s3)

aimeeinohio

Reaction score
I went from iPhone 4 to the S3....after two days of wanting to shoot myself in the eye, I LOVE this thing...I use mine pretty heavily, and from when I unplugged it at 6:30 am, I am sitting at 38% right now....my iPhone would've been at about 40-45% right now with this useage, so not a huge difference.

edited to say: right now, at 7 pm, it's at 20% and should get plugged in.

Last edited:

jimg50

Reaction score
On eBay I bought a 4800 vah battery for 20 dollars. I got two of them and they come with back. Get over 2 day use. Verizon doesn't sell extended battery.