help appreciated - can't get 2.1 OTA

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just got back from vacation and was wiping and reflashing my phone back to stock 2.1. One problem - the 2.1 OTA update which normally just happens automatically, it isn't happening. I wiped first, then flashed 2.0.1 using rsd lite, then got stuck late last night b/c I couldn't activate. So this morning it activated fine, but no update. I've tried a factory reset both through the phone settings as well as the phone's default recovery menu, still no luck. The ONLY difference between this time and the many times before is that I was on a new baseband, but I flashed back to the normal one BEFORE I wiped and flashed 2.0.1. I have also done this once before going back to the original baseband with no problem, so I don't think that would cause a problem...??

Any thoughts?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Did you look under system updates? Does it say up to date or updates available?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
sorry, been off for a bit... first morning back to work is always chaos!

it simply says: "Your system is currently up to date", and it's definitely still 2.0.1, esd56, etc

not sure what else to do except to try and reflash the 2.0.1 unless anybody has any other ideas

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
bump...

anybody have any thoughts? i've reflashed 2.0.1 again on a different computer after doing a full wipe again, and still no luck

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
found another brief thread where the guy ran into this and did a factory reset through the default recovery menu and then was able to download it... tried that, still no luck... it looks like the factory reset worked, but it did say this at the beginning of it:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

I'm close to trying to call VZW and just tell them I did a factory reset and I'm stuck on 2.0.1 now.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
found another brief thread where the guy ran into this and did a factory reset through the default recovery menu and then was able to download it... tried that, still no luck... it looks like the factory reset worked, but it did say this at the beginning of it:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

I'm close to trying to call VZW and just tell them I did a factory reset and I'm stuck on 2.0.1 now.

Do you not want to download it from the internet? I'm pretty sure I can find it.

Comptrgeek

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Had the same issue, tried to root, didn't work , didn't want to brick it, lol, so i went back to 2.0.1 last night, figuring the update would find me...d'loaded 2.1 from net this morning and installed it. worked like a champ for me!!dancedroid

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Had the same issue, tried to root, didn't work , didn't want to brick it, lol, so i went back to 2.0.1 last night, figuring the update would find me...d'loaded 2.1 from net this morning and installed it. worked like a champ for me!!dancedroid

gotta link?

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
cool, thanks a lot

This has been interesting... I have been on the phone with VZW and then they transferred me over to Motorola. VZW was no help, but she tried her best. Then she randomly offered me 10% off my bill for the next 6 months. I was not pushy or even the slightest bit assertive, especially since I created this problem.

Then she transferred me to Motorola. Also super nice... she ended up having to put in an order to have it pushed to my phone in the next 3 to 5 business days. She found it odd that I had the correct baseband, which is possibly why it wasn't prompting for an update. But here's what I don't get... If I flashed the 2.0.1 .sbf, I would think that would override the baseband since, historically, I've gone from 2.1 rom's with the same baseband, then used the same .sbf to get back to 2.0.1 then back to stock, and it prompted me for the update no problem. So who knows, maybe the baseband isn't the problem... just interesting though, regardless.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Normally the basebands do get overridden when u do this....strange.....

Maybe either reflashing the 2.0.1 sbf til the 2.0.1 baseband stuck or installing the 2.0.1 baseband first woulda prompted the OTA to download?

Everytime I flashed 2.0.1 the OTA downloaded. Even when I flashed 2.1, the mystery 2.1 OTA a month ago downloaded....

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My volume up key broke and so I will need to have my Droid replaced by Verizon, and upon unrooting my phone I also have been stuck on 2.0.1.....
Won't do an OTA, says it's up to date... can't do it manually since my volume up key is f*ed (what are the odds eh?? lmao) .... too funny... I guess I'll have to send it back to them as is...

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Normally the basebands do get overridden when u do this....strange.....

Maybe either reflashing the 2.0.1 sbf til the 2.0.1 baseband stuck or installing the 2.0.1 baseband first woulda prompted the OTA to download?

Everytime I flashed 2.0.1 the OTA downloaded. Even when I flashed 2.1, the mystery 2.1 OTA a month ago downloaded....

Yeah me too, first time this has happened to me. Maybe it means, in some roundabout way, that 2.2 OTA is just around the corner... :icon_eek:

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Though, I did ask the Motorola lady about it (2.2), and she just laughed and said typically the customers on "the forums" know before they do. :)