Hello

OP
T

teacherchic

Reaction score
I came from the enV touch and I now have the droid 2 and I can tell you its like night and day although the physical layout is similar. If its your first smartphone you really can't go wrong but my suggestion would be for either d2 or dx.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OK....now tell me why the D2 or Dx. =] What do they offer that the Fascinate doesn't?

Or, is it really just how comfortable I am with the feel of the phone and its physical features....inside, aren't they all the same???

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I came from the enV touch and I now have the droid 2 and I can tell you its like night and day although the physical layout is similar. If its your first smartphone you really can't go wrong but my suggestion would be for either d2 or dx.

OK....now tell me why the D2 or Dx. =] What do they offer that the Fascinate doesn't?

Or, is it really just how comfortable I am with the feel of the phone and its physical features....inside, aren't they all the same???

Until I got a smartphone I use to have similar outdated thoughts :p

Every smartphone out there is now a mini computer, so hardware counts just as much.

the Fascinate does have the Super AMOLED screen, that's why the colors appear so vibrant, even though it doesn't actually display as many colors as the DX or D2.

Well the Samsung Fascinate has a really powerful graphics chip in it, but the DX is actually faster (but that could be said because the DX has the latest Android2.2, which really sped up processing while the Samsung Device is still on Android 2.1). The DroidX does have a larger screen, and some would say a bit more of a "solid" build, while the Samsung feels like a plastic phone. However the Droid2 is off by itself with "similar" specs of the Droid X, but less RAM and internal storage to make up for the Physical keyboard.

If and when Samsung upgrades their phones to Android 2.2, that will be the true test if it really is faster than the Droid X, as right now the Droid X is technically the most powerful Android Phone Verizon has.

But don't let us tell you which phone to buy, as it will be YOUR phone.

Just make a choice, and you will be very happy with it because they really are all great smartphones :)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well inside they are quite different but I happen to like the way the dx and d2 feel in my hand. They feel solidly built, and I have in fact dropped my phone from chest height once or twice with out any issues.

OP
T

teacherchic

Reaction score
I freely admit that I am green when it comes to smartphones!!! This will be my first. I do not like the way the Fascinate feels in my hand, but I do not like the DX either because it feels huge to me. I dont really need the slide-out keyboard..so therein lies my difficulty in making the decision! December 5 is the day so after all this research and review reading/watching......I will walk in and buy a phone! LOL

I do appreciate all the info you all are sharing! In terms of the age of these phones, would you say that they are all about the same age...I know when they came out.....I mean in terms of their "life-span" or even "life expectancy". Which phone seems to have the most time left in it? Does that make sense??? Aye!!!!! I even confuse myself in trying to sort this out! Ha!

OP
T

teacherchic

Reaction score
Yes, I know that the minute a phone comes out it is on its way out...this the fun part of technology. But, I do not want to buy a phone that is beyond where it should be the minute I get it.....

Bilgediver

Reaction score
That's a good question. Have you tried out the HTC Droid Incredible? Its probably the oldest of the leading Droid Smartphones in the Store, but its still a very nice phone. Its got the smoother edges and slightly smaller form factor than the Giant-that-is-the-Droid-X, yet it feels more solid than the Samsung.

As to the youngest of the leading smartphones with Verizon, that's easily the Droid 2 Global, but as that's a cousin of the Droid 2, I would say the Samsung Fascinate. It has yet to receive the latest update to Android 2.2, so the full potential of the device hasn't been reached. Seriously, Android 2.2's base processing code really makes Android just ZIP along compared 2.1 and earlier.

How do you feel about the DroidPro? Its made more for Business users switching from a Blackberry or Palm device, but its also fairly new.

OP
T

teacherchic

Reaction score
hmmm....Droid Pro.....since I am not a business user, it seems silly to "settle" for such a small screen size. I am not saying that my thinking makes sense......I could be wrong. That is just a gut feeling. The associates in my local verizon store kinda turned me off of the incredible saying that they have more issues with it than any other Droid. Do you find that to be true?

By the way, thank you for taking the time to discuss this on a non-droidite level! I have a lot to learn....but I have already learned so much from being here!

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Honestly I have no idea. I personally have the original Motorola Droid, the precursor to the Droid 2.
There are decent mid-range phones like the LG Optimus that don't have the huge screen size, but they also are slightly less powerful, cheaper, too. Its an Android powered phone as well.

Well actually what you're doing is researching before you make an investment in your mobile computing future?!

Reaction score
I would not get the incredible, I have seen three people send them back for a faulty speaker. Although it is a good phone, my wife has one and I prefer my D1 to the incredible. That's probably due to the mods though. Go in spend some time with each phone, and take your time as it will be yours for 2 years, and get the one you like most. You'll be happy with any choice you make.

Sent from my bodily extension.

OP
T

teacherchic

Reaction score
I would not get the incredible, I have seen three people send them back for a faulty speaker. Although it is a good phone, my wife has one and I prefer my D1 to the incredible. That's probably due to the mods though. Go in spend some time with each phone, and take your time as it will be yours for 2 years, and get the one you like most. You'll be happy with any choice you make.

Sent from my bodily extension.

My stepmom has the incredible and loves it....although I am leery because of what they told me in the store. I will take your advice and spend some time in the store with each phone. At any rate, all of them are going to be better than this piece of junk I am surrently carrying! Thanks again!