Hello to the forum....

Nismo90tt

Reaction score
Just wanted to post a quick thread to say hey and thanks for the great forum!
I've had my Droid for a while now, but I JUST rooted it about an hour ago (6/11/10 at about 5:30pm CST).

Now, I'm thouroughly confused as to what to do from this point forward. I'm interested in doing a ROM and a different theme, but I don't know which one to go with. I use an image of my little girl and I as my background, so the background image doesn't really matter to me. However, I want different icons and such. I have HelixLauncher and I really like the 4 icons that remain on the bottom regardless of what home screen you're on. I'm accessing this through my laptop through PDANET through my Droid, so obviously anything that improves my internet access or speed would be nice. There is a lot I don't know about this phone, and I'm sure it does more than I could ever want it to, but I'm wanting to figure out some of the cool things I can do with it.
Basically, I'm looking for some insight on what a ROM is really going to do for me?! Any help is appreciated...thanks.

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad you joined us.

Selecting a rom is a personal preference. So roms run better on individual phones so my advice select a rom. Install it, play with it, then install other roms. Make a list of the pro's and con's of each then decide which one works best for you.

There are several recent threads on roms so do a search and begin reading. Additionally, select the forum tab above and scroll to the custom rom section and begin reading.

If you have questions post them and the community will respond.

Mike

OP
N

Nismo90tt

Reaction score
I'm so confused right now. I have a 2.1 rooted Droid, but I keep seeing things about 2.2? Is there another update that I don't have? If so, where do I get it at and what does it do?
ROM, Kernels, wipe twice, wipe three times, etc.....I wouldn't know how to install a ROM if I wanted to.
I've been trying to see what other users have (from their signatures), but haven't been able to tell which ones are popular and which aren't. I've noticed a lot of people have Bugless Beast installed, and I see things about Cyanogen (whatever the hell that is), but I can't figure out which I want and how to install it. I've been looking for screenshots but not everyone has them uploaded.
Tell me what a good ROM is to start off with and how to install it, then I can go from there. Thanks again for any help.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Late last week, the 2.2 OS (Froyo) was leaked. Many have installed without issues. Others who installed are having issues. Many of us are still running the 2.1 roms and are very satisfied. To-date, I've installed, Bugless Beast, Cyanogen, Black Droid, and Succulent Desire (my current rom). All have worked well for me.

I know there are more but here is a thread that http://www.droidforums.net/forum/koush/38696-screenshots-cyanogen-mod-themes-new-post.html has screen shots of Cyanogen.

Take a look. If you like what you see then go with Cyanogen. If not go with BB.

Mike

OP
N

Nismo90tt

Reaction score
I may have done something terribly wrong. My phone will NOT boot past the Motorola symbol. Is there a way to recover it?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
What was the last thing you did? You can restore your backup.

OP
N

Nismo90tt

Reaction score
The last thing I did was download and install Rom Manager from Marketplace. I followed the instructions here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/koush/38278-cyanogenmod-installation.html
After downloading the latest Cyanogen release, it prompted me to backup and do a wipe and then had OK/CANCEL buttons. I hit OK on accident without checking the "backup" and "wipe" boxes.

Now, while doing the following guide:
How-To Root your stock 2.1 Droid
I did the "suggested" Nandroid backups, and I can see the folders on the SD card, but it wont load them.

I'm not sure what to do from here.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but when you initially installed Rom Manager did it create a backup? If so, restore it. If not, then you may want to restore the Nandroid backup you made.

OP
N

Nismo90tt

Reaction score
I may be wrong but when you initially installed Rom Manager did it create a backup? If so, restore it. If not, then you may want to restore the Nandroid backup you made.

What do I need to do to install the Nandroid backup that I made? I did two of them before attempting to do a ROM install. There is a 2.1_unrooted and a 2.1_freshly_rooted backup if I'm not mistaken.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would use the newly rooted that way you keep root. What did you use to create the backup?

OP
N

Nismo90tt

Reaction score
I would use the newly rooted that way you keep root. What did you use to create the backup?

I did it exactly like it said in that tutorial. Reboot the phone by using the X and power buttons, then go in and create a backup and create your own name for it. I think it was trying to restore to a bad set of files (done after the Cyanogen tried to install). So, I moved some files around so it would try to restore to the 2.1_freshly_rooted files instead of the other files.

OP
N

Nismo90tt

Reaction score
Cross your fingers for me. It's doing more now than it was before, so hopefully its working. If not, I have a nice paperweight I guess.

OP
N

Nismo90tt

Reaction score
:):):):):):):)

It worked. Now, I will need to get some more info before I attempt another ROM install. Apparently I did something wrong when trying to do Cyanogen. I suppose I may try BB this time, since I downloaded the file from the link in that section. Anything specific I need to know? I downloaded the .zip file, so I just rename it update.zip and go from there?