Hello! I'm new here. I trust this forum!

Magicrandi

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Randi. I've had my Droid 1 for a while. I tried to root several times with no luck (went the "easy root" method eventually...not the real thing though!!) Anyways, thanks to your wonderful forum and motocache1 (I think he's a God lol) I was finally able to REALLY root. Thanks to his explanation of renaming a zip file, it finally worked. Adding the.zip I was creating a .zip.zip file the whole time. THANK YOU MOTOCACHE1! dancedroid
I've been "lurking" in many forums for a while now and, honestly, this forum is the only one I've ever had a desire to join.

I've been rooted for a month or so (so,so happy to finally have my wifi tether!) but now I know it's time to go on to bigger things and figure out roms, kernels, etc... I'm using astro manager (well, not really too much because I'm not too sure what to do with it!)

I know one of the first things I must do is a backup of some sort. Also, my battery life's been an issue so I will look into underclocking (even though overclocking is what I'd REALLY rather do!) and I'm hoping to find a great camera/camcorder but I really am excited to get an understanding of what the possibilities are out here.

Bugless beast, clockworkmod, cyogen, astro vs rom manager, superdialer, snes, wii?, but the basics....rom and kernels are where I need to gain a knowledge in first!

Also, if anyone has an opinion on the Droid 1 verses the Droid 2, Droid X, HTC Incredible....I am going to add another toy to my life :)

Thank you for your wonderful forum!!

~Randi

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Forum, I am glad you have found the information here as useful as I have

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad you joined us.

Hi everyone. My name is Randi. I've had my Droid 1 for a while. I tried to root several times with no luck (went the "easy root" method eventually...not the real thing though!!) Anways, thanks to your wonderful forum and motocache1 (I think he's a God lol) I was finally able to REALLY root. Thanks to his explanation of renaming a zip file, it finally worked. Adding the.zip I was creating a .zip.zip file the whole time. THANK YOU MOTOCACHE1! dancedroid
This is a common problem for many members. Should you decide to add a theme or kernel you will need to either rename or remove the rom update.zip. If you have more than one update.zip on your SD card the install will fail.

I've been "lurking" in many forums for a while now and, honestly, this forum is the only one I've ever had a desire to join.

Thanks! I believe this is a fantastic site and will meet your needs.

I've been rooted for a month or so (so,so happy to finally have my wifi tether!) but now I know it's time to go on to bigger things and figure out roms, kernels, etc... I'm using astro manager (well, not really too much because I'm not too sure what to do with it!)

Astro is a good app. Depending on what your future needs are you may want to check Root Explorer. It is a paid app and worth the few dollars.

I know one of the first things I must do is a backup of some sort.
Anytime you make a change to your OS (adding a new rom, kernel, or theme) make a backup with either SPR or ClockWork. A solid backup can save you hours of work and frustration. Do not confuse a backup with SPR or ClockWork with a backup make with apps like MyBackUpPro or Titanium.

Also, my battery life's been an issue so I will look into underclocking (even though overclocking is what I'd REALLY rather do!)
If you have a task killer remove it. Have you already added a kernel? If so, try a new kernel or lower the speed.

and I'm hoping to find a great camera/camcorder but I really am excited to get an understanding of what the possibilities are out here.

Bugless beast, clockworkmod, cyogen, astro vs rom manager, superdialer, snes, wii?, but the basics....rom and kernels are where I need to gain a knowledge in first!

BB and Cyanogen are roms
ClockWorkmod is the file ClockWork uses to store backups.
Astro is a file manager app. Rom Manager is a application that allows you to download and install roms, themes, and kernels. Additionally, RM uses ClockWork as the primary process to backup and restore. Rm does allow you to install SPRecovery(SPR). SPR allow you to install rom, themes, kernels, and create/restore backups.

Also, if anyone has an opinion on the Droid 1 verses the Droid 2, Droid X, HTC Incredible....I am going to add another toy to my life :)

They are all solid devices. My suggestion, go to VZW and spend an hour playing with those phones.

Thank you for your wonderful forum!!

~Randi

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

OP
M

Magicrandi

Reaction score
Hi Mike & thanks for the fast response! Nope, I've not yet added a kernel. I really have no clue where to start!!??

OP
M

Magicrandi

Reaction score
Thanks :) Most of it goes over my head right now so I'm anxious to learn!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
theres a lot of good reading info in my sig. just pick a topic and get started :)

for a kernel, check out overclocking (link in my sig)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Take your time and read the things in Abe's signature. If you need assistance the community will be here.

Mike