Helix launcher stuck in FC loop

af424

Reaction score
Helix launcher stuck in FC loop [solved]

So I've been testing Helix since lots of people recommended it.

I set 4 screens at first. Then I put my usual apps and widgets in those 4 screens. Since there are some shortcut slots underneath, and with the help of some folders, I wanted to cut down the screens to 3.

After clearing "some" of the apps in the 4th screen, I got lazy and thought "why don't I just leave the rest there and set the screens to 3 in the helix settings?". That worked before when I was using home++. However, here comes the looping force-close hell.....

I knew I should have listen to the warning in the helix configuration when it tells me to clear all the apps and widgets if you want to cut down the screen number...darn it.

I can still receive calls but that's about all I can do with my milestone now.........Is there a "safe mode" like in PC or any ways for me to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

junpar

Reaction score
Um. try pressing the search soft key and type in market in between force closes. Once you get into market, install a different launcher and then use that launcher to delete helixlauncher. Good luck..

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Um. try pressing the search soft key and type in market in between force closes. Once you get into market, install a different launcher and then use that launcher to delete helixlauncher. Good luck..

+1 for typing between force closes. Save some time by searching for helix and uninstalling the current one before installing a new one, or if you have not set helix as your default yet do the homekey press and select the original app.

OP
A

af424

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies!!!

It worked!!! Thank god I didn't turn off my internet connection.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies!!!

It worked!!! Thank god I didn't turn off my internet connection.

You could have drilled down into settings/apps/manage apps and yanked it from there.

And if you have the free app, Quick Uninstall....that would have worked too. Glad it worked out!

OP
A

af424

Reaction score
Nah, I had already set helix as default back then and could do nothing besides seeing that endless FC msg.

But yeah, thank god it worked.

Just finish editing the home screens again. It runs smoother than home++. Hope it force closes much less too.

pcamos

Reaction score
Helix launcher 2 force close.

I am a 54 y/o female user who is not too techy and I nearly panicked after loading this bugger onto my droid after upgrading to 2.1 so that I could use the 5 home pages. Thank you so much after helping me to get that thing off my droid. I don't know how to boot it up in safe mode, but finally got to market by using system button on hard keyboard in between rapid fc. typed in market, got to helix and uninstalled. Whew! Scared to try anything now! :icon_eek:

frankybabee

Reaction score
holy crap this is a nightmare...im trying to do what you guys said but this ****ing helix2 app has totally taken over the phone god ****ing dammit.....now im ****ed......I could really use some help to save my phone that i just ****in got.....!! **** me!!!

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
holy crap this is a nightmare...im trying to do what you guys said but this ****ing helix2 app has totally taken over the phone god ****ing dammit.....now im ****ed......I could really use some help to save my phone that i just ****in got.....!! **** me!!!

first off, we can't read your cussing so no need to do it. Now take a deep breath and boot the phone into safe mode. You do this by powering off the phone, open your keyboard and hold down the menu button on the d pad the same time you power the phone on, keep holding it down until you see the red droid eye appear, you will feel the phone give you a long vibrate and then the main screen will boot and you will see it say safe mode. Then go into settings, applications, manage applications and uninstall the app. then reboot

frankybabee

Reaction score
Rebel,

I cant thank you enough...your directions were clear, to the point, and you couldnt have asked for better direction. Thank you very much. I will from now on research apps prior to downloading. What a nightmare.....thanks again.

Frank

nick.cetrone

Reaction score
yep, ignored the warning screen today...woops.

had trouble getting directly to the market. did a search for helix launcher, first google result was for the droid forum, when it ascked me if i would like to access "type talk" or something like that via app maket i hit yes then changed it to search for heli, uninstall, problem solved.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
One thing when you're playing with a new Home; I suggest getting a free app called Home Switcher. It makes it easy for you to change defaults. A big plus is the ability to "Launch" a Home without making it your default. If a Home doesn't work, simply press your Home button and you'll get away from it.