headphone jack

wil318466

Reaction score
Update:

I think the problem is worse than we all realize. I just went out to the car and tested the "75% output" fix. It doesn't work.

When I have the volume on my droid at 100%, the speakers in my car are literally painful. Sound is loud, and sounds good (to me, I'm no audiophile, but its clear and loud). The issue is when I plug in the headphones.

Why would the headphones cause the left speakers to die, but when they are outputting to the CAR speakers, its loud and clear? Something isn't right. Now, here's the question to all of YOU :

What kind of earphones are you using? The ones with the Mic in them? I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the mic. In all honesty, I'm doubting this is the issue, but I'm reaching here.

2 outputs. one is to car speakers, sounds great, one is to headphones. Soon as I plug in the headphones, bad sound. I unplug them, great sound. I just don't understand it.

-Wil

skidemn

Reaction score
Update:

I think the problem is worse than we all realize. I just went out to the car and tested the "75% output" fix. It doesn't work.

When I have the volume on my droid at 100%, the speakers in my car are literally painful. Sound is loud, and sounds good (to me, I'm no audiophile, but its clear and loud). The issue is when I plug in the headphones.

Why would the headphones cause the left speakers to die, but when they are outputting to the CAR speakers, its loud and clear? Something isn't right. Now, here's the question to all of YOU :

What kind of earphones are you using? The ones with the Mic in them? I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the mic. In all honesty, I'm doubting this is the issue, but I'm reaching here.

2 outputs. one is to car speakers, sounds great, one is to headphones. Soon as I plug in the headphones, bad sound. I unplug them, great sound. I just don't understand it.

-Wil

Your problem may be due to the impedance of your earphones. If they are defective or are of a wrong/incompatible impedance, then the internal amp will have issues. Most headphones are of 16ohm impedance so you may want to check the specs on yours. Also, if the Droid does not have a mic input as part of the headphone connector, then the segment on the connector for the mic may be tied to one of the speaker outputs on the Droid therein causing a problem. A mono connector has two segments (a band on the 3.5mm plug isolates the two contacts), a stereo connector has 3 segments, and if I remember correctly a headphone and mic connector has 4 segments. If the Droid is made for 3 segments then there is your problem. I have never tried a mic/earphone combo so I have no idea if Droid supports it.

Jakkzen

Reaction score
Same issue here. I'm using Bose in ear headphones. I've used my iPod headphones with the same result. Even using Pandora is pops on the left ear.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Listening to it at 100%....Get used to asking people to repeat themselves in your later years....I know ;)

siksik6

Reaction score
As a european with the Droid (milestone) on pre-order, I'm slightly alarmed at this thread!

So just for clarity, with JUST headphones plugged in, if the device volume is above 75% it distorts?

drewshaver

Reaction score
aboslutely correct. although it is only from the left speaker o_O

i would point out that this is not that uncommon, both ipods ive had did this also (altho only 1 tick below max would fix it in that case, in the droid 1 click under removes most but not all distortion).

if u have any issues with your droid, motorola droid faq wiki: Main is a good place to find solutions

siksik6

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - I'll definitely bookmark the Wiki.

I use my phone for music over everything else though, so I may cancel the pre-order until something is done about this.

drewshaver

Reaction score
i would recommend not to, its not really that big a deal, although a little bit ridiculous, but overall i am very happy with my droid, and have had rather few issues occur.

if you do get it, don't remove the battery door!!!! mine was fine, until i played with it a few times.. now it comes off rather easily (but they are sending me another) also it is pretty easy to fix yourslef by sticking someting small in there

siksik6

Reaction score
Well I'm buying it off contract, so if I'd paid £450 and the music playback popped and the battery door kept falling off, I'd be pissed!

shanmanmv

Reaction score
Update:
I just got the Motorola S9-HD blue-tooth headphones and the problem persists! Its definitely a software issue! My 2 test albums are Kanye West's 808's and heartbreak and Jay-Z's Blueprint 3 both snap crackle and pop in the left ear.

I tried exchanging the phone but the manager at the Verizon store claimed she coudn't hear the distortion and because she couldn't recreate the problem she couldn't exchange the Droid. The part about it that upsets me is the fact that she asked the associates i spoke to if they heard anything and they claimed they didn't when she asked them, but only a few minutes before when I initially walked into the store the same associate said she heard the distortion too. The manager got some headphones from the store, plugged them into the Droid and asked me to listen to them. The brand new head phones, just like my Sony ($70), Philips ($30), Motorola ($120), and Skullcandy ($20) headphones crackled in the left ear, she claimed that with the Verizon headphones she couldn't hear them so the problem was just my headphones. I couldn't cancel the contract and return the Droid because the account holder (who is not me) was not available.

I forgot to mention that I also discovered that the Droid does not voice dial with any bluetooth phone or stereo device. What i mean by that is on most bluetooth devices, if the user hits the call button usually a tone prompts the user to say the name of the person they want to call then makes the call to that person. With the Droid you can press this button all day long and scream at the top of you lungs the name you want to call and it will not call anyone.

I hope they fix this on December 11th because my 30 days will be over this week.

Last edited:

drewshaver

Reaction score
turn the media vol down to 75% and the distortion almost entirely dissapears. i do hope they fix this as well but it could be a faulty audio chipset aka not fixable.

shanmanmv

Reaction score
not true in my case the distortion as i mentioned before occurs on certain song at any volume level.

drewshaver

Reaction score
i dno, crackling in the left ear is the exact same problem all of us have been having, and virtually dissapears at 70% volume. you sure you changed media volume not ringer volume?

shanmanmv

Reaction score
I'm positive. I'm always in the UI of the music player when testing the audio problem and only he Media volume is being changed when i test.