HDMI Streaming Video

ELH

Reaction score
Anyone here know if the X2 will stream video over HDMI like NetFlix or HBO Go?

Or has anyone tested the RealHDMI mirroring app on the X2?

*Stock running GB*

Versatile1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yes, however the quality from netflix is only ok. divx and other stored movies look great though

SENT FROM MY DROID X2 USING ECLIPSE ROM GB 2.3.3 + BNB CUSTOM THEME

OP
E

ELH

Reaction score
Did some more research on this.

Some folks claim the X2 only outputs HDMI for Gallery and stored content, others say it mirrors everything without the need for RealHDMI. When my HDMI cable arrives next week I will find out.

As for HBO GO, they have deliberately disabled HDMI output when using the HBO GO app. I worked on finding a way around this by using their website instead of their Android app.

You need to impersonate a desktop browser in order to do this, and whatever you use must support Flash and probably JS. I discovered a simple trick using the stock Android browser that works. If you enter 'about:debug' in the URL bar the browser toggles into a diagnostic mode. You can then go into the advanced settings and flip the user agent to impersonate a desktop browser. HBO can't tell that you're on a mobile device and loads the complete site. It is difficult to navigate but functions correctly.

They have about 300 movies online, most of them recent releases, and the picture quality is excellent.

Versatile1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I will have to try this trick, because I'm sure that is why netflix looked bad. My HD movies that are stored on my phone look perfect as I said before.

OP
E

ELH

Reaction score
I will have to try this trick, because I'm sure that is why netflix looked bad. My HD movies that are stored on my phone look perfect as I said before.

NetFlix uses a tiered resolution scheme based on your connection bandwidth. If you have a slow connection they fall back to SD, 480i or 480p. Try it over WiFi and see if it improves. It should run at HD, 720p with a good connection.

OP
E

ELH

Reaction score
Just received my mini HDMI cable, here's the deal,

The X2 automatically mirrors everything on the screen, no need for a mirror app

As expected, HBO GO refuses to mirror, kills the HDMI output

HBO GO can be run in a browser using the desktop user agent, Droid or Dolphin, but will not go full screen with HDMI connected

All HDMI output resolution is poor, the port is speced at 1080p but the output looks worse than 480i, not worth the effort

celtic11

Reaction score
I stream netflix to my HDTV quite frequently from the droid3 and I have zero issues with quality.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
E

ELH

Reaction score
Probably a compatibility issue between the X2 and my TV. I will try it on another when I get a chance. Thanks.

celtic11

Reaction score
Probably a compatibility issue between the X2 and my TV. I will try it on another when I get a chance. Thanks.

It's also possibly an expectations thing. We stream netflix through our wii and the d3 matches that quality but I also realize the wii isn't HD. Im sure blue ray and things of that nature are much better but its definitely not worse than 480 sd.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums