HDMI streaming Razr to big screen TV?

SallyC

Reaction score
I'm wondering about the feasibility of using my Razr to stream to a big screen TV using an HDMI cord. Specifically I was hoping to stream pictures from my pc using Motocast or maybe YouTube videos.

I ordered a cord today to connect my phone to my TV, but I've been reading where people have been less than happy with their results. I'm not sure of the best way to approach it but I was just going to run the cord from my phone to the HDMI port on my TV and hope it sees it. But I might be being naive about it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Since I'm in the market for a new phone, it would interesting to know if someone could actually live without the hdmi on a phone such as those with a nexus.

eidian

Reaction score
On my Droid X it sucked using HDMI because there was no mirroring and it wasn't HD when streaming Netflix--pictures were fine.

A couple weekends ago I was streaming a movie and my brother-in-law refused to believe that the full HD movie was streaming from my phone using Netflix (his HTC Evo looks like a piece of crap in comparison). This Razr is amazing! Screen mirroring, full HD...there's nothing more to ask for (except for a better battery, of course).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jdroid80

Reaction score
Yup, I've had good results. My sister was amazed at the HD Netflix from my RAZR to 50" plasma.

I don't use it full time, but it's a nice option I have for when I'm on the go or something. There's also an occassional black flicker that's sometimes there. I'm not sure if it's a data issue or what.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Disregard.

truebluebpb

Reaction score
I have this and it works. On the home screen, click menu then settings. Click HDMI. Then click Overscan. When you're connected to the TV, it will ask if you want to mirror the phone. Yes. Use your power plug for your phone and you should be set. I trust that these are correct directions. It worked for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

eidian

Reaction score
Yup, I've had good results. My sister was amazed at the HD Netflix from my RAZR to 50" plasma.

I don't use it full time, but it's a nice option I have for when I'm on the go or something. There's also an occassional black flicker that's sometimes there. I'm not sure if it's a data issue or what.

+1 If I don't have the Xoom, I hook up the Razr to watch a movie when I visit my parents or in-laws. Beats carrying a DVD or Bluray. And definitely plug in the charger.

2.3.6 ver 173 rooted with NO problems

eidian

Reaction score
So, using hdmi mode takes a toll on battery life?

Just having your phone NOT connected to a charger takes a toll on the battery life.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Absolutely. But I guess I was thinking along the lines of when using the gps, you can watch the battery drain.

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
I have this and it works. On the home screen, click menu then settings. Click HDMI. Then click Overscan. When you're connected to the TV, it will ask if you want to mirror the phone. Yes. Use your power plug for your phone and you should be set. I trust that these are correct directions. It worked for me.

Thanks, truebluebpb. Do you click on HDMI and do the overscan before you connect to the TV? Or doesn't it matter?

I don't get my cable until tomorrow, so I can't test it out yet. But I appreciate the feedback from folks. It sounds like the Razr does a great job with this!

eidian

Reaction score
Absolutely. But I guess I was thinking along the lines of when using the gps, you can watch the battery drain.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic towards you--I was just making a statement on how sad the battery life is on our 1st gen phone.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
No worries here. Actually, I'm feeling like I've hijacked this thread a bit..not meaning to. But I really appreciate the information given here as I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before my next purchase. I currently own the OG droid and so I am a bit in the advanced phone age. It looks like hdmi might be useful at some point. I may never use it, but then there's always that one time where it rears its lovely head and says "here I am". (that had to sound corny).
dancedroid

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
No worries here. Actually, I'm feeling like I've hijacked this thread a bit..not meaning to. But I really appreciate the information given here as I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before my next purchase. I currently own the OG droid and so I am a bit in the advanced phone age. It looks like hdmi might be useful at some point. I may never use it, but then there's always that one time where it rears its lovely head and says "here I am". (that had to sound corny).
dancedroid

Don't worry about hijacking as far as I'm concerned. Fwiw, I see your questions as related and I'm interested in what you bring up.

I know what you mean about wondering about HDMI. You never know with some things until you get them how much you might use them. Because you're not really on that wavelength. I didn't care about HDMI when I got the Razr, but now I'm suddenly thinking of all kinds of things I can do with it.

The more I learn about this phone, the more I love it.