Having trouble putting music in Droid A855

mjs12

Reaction score
I am trying to install music on to my Droid and I am having a problem doing so. I connect the Droid to my computer via the USB, and the little USB icon pops up in the top left corner of my screen.

Then, my computer will say "found new hardware" and will give me three options:

1) Locate and install driver software (recommended)
2) Ask me again later
3) Don't show this message again for this device

When I click on locate/install driver software, it asks for the CD that came with the phone. I am positive that I did not receive a CD, and everything I've read says you don't need a CD anyway. It then gives me an option to click if I don't have the CD.

When I click that, it says "check for a solution" or "browse my computer for driver software." I click "check for a solution," and it says Windows was unable to install your Motorola A855.

I've also read that when you bring down the USB notification in the Droid menu, you will and then touch "USB Connected," you will receive an option that says "mount." Mine doesn't say that. Instead, it says "Turn on USB storage." When I touch that, nothing happens.

Can anyone help me here?

OP
M

mjs12

Reaction score
Okay; I was able to find the driver software needed online and I installed it successfully.

HOWEVER, my phone STILL does not give me the option to "mount." It just says "Turn on USB storage."

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't need to worry about installing a driver for the phone - you're just mounting the sdcard for transfer of files.

The older os versions used to say "mount usb" but now it's just "turn on usb". When you touch it, your sdcard is then mounted. You can tell by clicking on the external drive on your pc and see all your files displayed. When you're done, make sure to click on "trurn off usb" before disconnecting.

As for transferring music, there are several apps in the market. I use iSyncr...

Sent from my Full Android using DroidForums App

OP
M

mjs12

Reaction score
You don't need to worry about installing a driver for the phone - you're just mounting the sdcard for transfer of files.

The older os versions used to say "mount usb" but now it's just "turn on usb". When you touch it, your sdcard is then mounted. You can tell by clicking on the external drive on your pc and see all your files displayed. When you're done, make sure to click on "trurn off usb" before disconnecting.

As for transferring music, there are several apps in the market. I use iSyncr...

Yeah thanks. I got it to work. :)

My next question is, how would I set up the song to be my voicemail?

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya got me there. You might have an option in voicemail settings, but I don't really know. Sorry...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Voicemail isn't a phone feature. It's a carrier feature. I have no idea how you'd take a file and set it as your voicemail greeting but it won't involve copying the song to your SD card. You can check with your carrier to see if they support importing audio files to use as a voicemail greeting.

Buckweat

Reaction score
I think I found a way to set a mp3 as voicemail

Voicemail isn't a phone feature. It's a carrier feature. I have no idea how you'd take a file and set it as your voicemail greeting but it won't involve copying the song to your SD card. You can check with your carrier to see if they support importing audio files to use as a voicemail greeting.

I want to do the same thing so I called Verizon and just happen to find a really cool tech support guy. he gave me a possible option. Its 11pm now so I cant get the cable but I will in the morning. Hes theory goes like this....

You need a male to male 3.5mm cable to connect your droid to your computers MIC OUT. go to set up voicemail greeting on your droid and just before it says after the beep to record your message plug into your droid headphone jack. make sure you all ready have the 3.5mm connected to your computers mic out(duh). Listen a few times to time when it beeps to avoid any possible static when connecting.
play the mp3. then press # when mp3 stops or whenever. Message recorded.

This information came from SETIRI from Verizon tech support. If anyone tries this and it works spread the word!

He said that the droid headphone jack is a duel in and out so its theoretically possible.