haunted physical keyboard?

kd8fre

Reaction score
Ok, day one on my Moto Droid, so if this is common or easily fixed, sorry, but could not find it in the forum.

My hardware keyboard appears to be haunted, it works fine at times, but most of the time, there are multiple keys that do not work properly. The "E" key for example, when I press it, it types a series of capital letters, instead of the "E" it is supposed to.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Russ

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums here. My keyboard does not do that. With your phone being new I'd bring it back to the store, especially if you can pretty much reproduce this ghost writer at will.

OP
K

kd8fre

Reaction score
Thanks,
One question, I ordered my phone online through a 3rd party, will there be any problem to take it to a Verizon store for this?
I am a new Verizon customer, coming from sprint.

Russ

NXLTrauma25

Reaction score
No you cant. I had a blackberry storm back when they first came out from Amazon brand new with a verizon plan and all of the times I returned it Verizon said that they cannot give support to phones from non-direct dealers.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
Ok, day one on my Moto Droid, so if this is common or easily fixed, sorry, but could not find it in the forum.

My hardware keyboard appears to be haunted, it works fine at times, but most of the time, there are multiple keys that do not work properly. The "E" key for example, when I press it, it types a series of capital letters, instead of the "E" it is supposed to.

Thanks!
Russ

Try a wipe. Go into settings, privacy, and factory data reset. Mine did what you describe, but only with Swype keyboard, and only while charging.

Xaneth

Reaction score
Better yet try Swype. Its open for a time in beta, and its way faster than the physical or standard virtual keyboards. I got the droid because I preferred a physical keyboard, since I come from a Blackberry background. Nothing better and more tactile than a Blackberry keyboard. Until Swype. I'm a convert.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Xaneth

Reaction score
Oh, the beta site is beta.swype.com. Now I can move on tip a phone without a physical keyboard, like the incredible.

OP
K

kd8fre

Reaction score

Thanks!
Russ

Try a wipe. Go into settings, privacy, and factory data reset. Mine did what you describe, but only with Swype keyboard, and only while charging.

I have wiped it twice now, and it seems to have gotten worse, i know it is not an effect of an application, as right now, it is fresh off a wipe. Thanks for the advice though.

I would try swype, but I am a physical keyboard guy, and this being a new phone, i want my keyboard to work.

sajgel

Reaction score
I would contact the 3rd party where you got the Droid to find out their return policy. If you had bought it through an actual Verizon corporate store then it would be easier. I recommend you do that because if any other problems; i.e. hardware malfunction a verzion corporate store can help otherwise you are stuck

DasMuse

Reaction score
mine is doing something similar with the "e" key and a few others like the backspace key... the difference being that i would press it once and 4-5 letters would show up ending in a word like this" "...someeeeething..."
if i remember correctly the "u" key does it as well sometimes.

with the backspace key i press it once and 4-5 letters disappear but on a delay... i'll press it once and it will take a second or two to process, and when it does it deletes a bunch of letter instead of just one... its not very frequent and not a really big deal... but its annoying when trying to type fast.

at first i thought it was just me pressing the buttons to many times and not noticing, but i've had other people use the phone and ask me why it was doing that so i'm pretty sure its not human error.

Edit: i got mine from verizon and i took it to them during a time this was happening alot (slowed down recently) and it didnt happen at all to the guy looking at it (figures) so i deleted a bunch of apps that i never use and it seems to have either stopped or slowed down significantly

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
If you can't exchange it, try rooting and flashing a new rom. I'd also recommend grabbing swype while it's available. I used to be a hard KB fan myself. Now I only use it for passwords. Swype really is easier and faster, and it allows for one-handed text input. My wife got worked up when the last trial expired, cuz she didn't know how I installed it, and couldn't find it in the market.

Xaneth

Reaction score
I was more than a keyboard fan,i was hard core. I would not purchase a phone without a keyboard period. My next phone will be touch only as long as it has Swype.