HARDWARE keyboard problems

blackbelt27

Reaction score
i find whenever i type some letters it will double type them and or act as if i had continually held my finger down on the key, or keys just wont type, only to reappear when i type the letter again

for example, bringing up the special character selection, words coming out like this "hhello how arre yoou ttoday" or the space bar/backspace being held down

This seems like a software error but is as erratic as a hardware error.

islander90

Reaction score
yea a few of us have made posts about it... no real "fix" yet, but HOPEFULLY it's software related and gets fixed with the update that will hopefully come soon

kazuaki

Reaction score
I've been suffering with this for weeks. It's driving me crazy. Has anybody actually tried calling Verizon about it? I haven't bothered since I can't reproduce it on command.

Xander212

Reaction score
Within the past 2-3 weeks I have been having major issues with the slide-out keyboard and things seem to be deteriorating. I am not talking about the hardware which is terrific, but something is terribly wrong with the software. Very often periods will appear randomly in the middle of sentences without my double-spacing or pressing the period key. When this occurs either the cursor will take off and if I don't catch it, will speed thru several lines of empty page or the next word will appear 5-6 spaces after the period as if I had pressed the tab key. Within the last 2 days I have noticed that randomly I have to press the space bar twice to get a space and most recently again randomly I have to press a letter key twice in order for letter to appear. Again, this is random with no one key being the problem. I have PhysiKey from my Droid OG days. It never worked well with Gingerbread so I had it turned off but loaded on the Droid 3. I have begun to use it out of desperation. I find some minor relief, but not much and give up predictive and other features that came with multikey.
Keyboarding with the Droid 3 has become hell no matter in which venue I try to type....email...Handcent...notes...chatting on social lines etc. I know there have been some other keyboard complaints but does anyone have similar problems and does anyone know the solution? This problem defeats the major purpose of owning the Droid 3.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This happens to me rarely, but in a different variation. Like sometimes with the space or "." it will keep going on. Like if I'm writing a sentance, it will go, "Haha no, I can't come today.........................................." out of no where and I have to back space.

Also my M and N doesn't always push.. this is my second droid 3, so I figured it was my own doing. But I've been hearing other people with the same problems. Sucks if it is a keyboard problem and I got unlucky two out of two times.

Xander212

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Motorola. They said they had no complaints about the slide-out keyboard software. Because I had PhysiKey on the phone they felt there might be a conflict. I uninstalled Physikey....removed battery and restarted. The moment I started typing the problem returned. Motorola said the only remaining thing to do was a factory reset. I had this phone factory reset at least twice when it was new and every time I hear reset I start twitching cuz I know I'm going to lose some important data regardless of how I back up my files. Because Motorola has no record of anyone complaining about this issue and because Verizon gets the Moto technical problems from Motorola...please please start complaining to the source: Motorola 1-800-331-6456
Something is wrong here. I used PhysiKey many months with my Droid OG without incident. Facing my 3rd factory reset with this phone doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy!

islander90

Reaction score
I had something new happen with my keyboard today... it wouldn't actually show the text that I was typing until I hit the spacebar. That definitely tells me it's a software issue. Like I would push the keys and the predictive text line would show that I was typing, but it wouldn't actually put the text IN the text field until i hit punctuation or the spacebar. And it only did it on facebook once or twice; not every time.

Xander212

Reaction score
"no complains" my ass

Thank you Islander 90...at least that's a forum provided by Motorola which addresses much of my issue and I sure will post on that site tonite. No I am certain that keys are not sticking. I do believe this is a software issue but don't want to be redundant. Was very low after call to Motorola when their supposed level 2 tech support told me they had never heard of this issue. Much needed ammunition provided here and I thank you. However, I am left with 2 choices which are factory reset (which will be my 3rd due to problems I had when I first bought Droid 3 and have nothing to do with this situation.) However I'm tired of doing factory resets. We all seem to criticize iPhone and Apple's vertical integration. At times I've called the iPhone a velvet straight-jacket. But there's another side to the coin...3 factory resets on a phone that is less than 2 months old is not acceptable and I've never quite heard of such problems with iPhone...and saying there was...the process of restoring all software and data to iPhone is so much easier and transparent than android. My second choice is to bite the bullet and go to Verizon and demand a new phone in place of this. My fear is being refused and then what? If I didn't want a keyboard things would be so much easier. Have no idea where my 'gumption' has gone Motorola and Verizon seem to have worn me down. But this situation is intolerable.

SuperShaw42

Reaction score
i find whenever i type some letters it will double type them and or act as if i had continually held my finger down on the key, or keys just wont type, only to reappear when i type the letter again

for example, bringing up the special character selection, words coming out like this "hhello how arre yoou ttoday" or the space bar/backspace being held down

This seems like a software error but is as erratic as a hardware error.

same here

spice

Reaction score
My keyboard is malfunctioning in the same way as I type this. It's taking forever. Switching to swype now... For me, just like xander212 said, it's only been happening for the last couple of weeks. I got my droid 3 as soon as it was available back in july, and my keyboard had been working great. Now it's virtually useless. Maybe something on our phones has updated itself recently that has a bug that affects the physical keyboard? Hopefully one of the whizzes will be able to trace the conflict and come up with a solution soon!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I installed the leaked update and have not had the erratic keyboard since. Mine was going crazy with the spacebar and periods, not now. No more issues since the update. So if your adventurous try the leak, is not there is an update coming that fixes this, and the blue camera :D

LLR00717

neilrl79

Reaction score
I installed the leaked update and have not had the erratic keyboard since. Mine was going crazy with the spacebar and periods, not now. No more issues since the update. So if your adventurous try the leak, is not there is an update coming that fixes this, and the blue camera :D

LLR00717

Does the update fix the auto-correct bar staying on the bottom of the screen till you close the keyboard?

spice

Reaction score

LLR00717

I haven't been in the loop regarding updates. When is the official update supposed to be released? Can you point me in the direction of the leaked version? As long as it doesn't require that the phone be rooted, I'd like to give it a shot. This keyboard issue sucks bad! Blue camera sucks too, but Zoom FX app
is working great as an alternative to the native camera app.
Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums